Q, proven breeder!!!!

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Q, proven breeder!!!!

Postby arcadies » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Bushviper wrote:arcadies sit at the computer naked. Look up ..... look down. Same thing!

Maybe for you yes, but i dont need x-rays and various other medical equipment to see my appendages.

still cant see anything on the photos (spent anther 10min looking)

i will assume everything looks well and dandy and wish you and mommy best of luck
"But I put my life on the line to save animals. " Steve Irwin (1962 -2006)
arcadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 am

Congrats and everything of the best Q ball, children is a blessing!
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm

I can make out the nose, etc. but not the other one... Maybe you were right and he takes after his dad after all.

*off goes BB to find pepper and tweezers... oh and don't forget the magnifying glass* hee hee (just joking ofcourse).
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Q Ball » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:41 pm

So mom started having "cramps" on Sunday the 21st but nothing painful or no symptoms that would lead us to believe Michael will be born soon. The first baby generally takes a lot longer to arrive after symptoms. My first thought was that he better not come on the 22nd, 25th 31st or 1st. Our doctors appointment on Mon the 22nd confirmed that it is close but perhaps still a week or two. Christmas saw us having the usual due at our place with family. By now the cramps had intensified but still no symptoms to lead us to believe the little dude wants to come out. Our last guests left at around 10:00 that night by which time Chantal was "quite uncomfortable" with these cramps. A phone call to the doctor confirmed that she probably had a bit of a bladder infection but he asked us to monitor these until the morning at which time he would examine her if the cramps had not subsided. I battled to fall asleep that night as I was doing my utmost to help her get through these cramps but eventually fell asleep at around 12:30. She woke me up at 02:00 and asked me to take her through to Lynmed hospital as this is where we decided we would give birth to our son (we stay in Kemptonpark but did not feel comfortable going to Arwyp Hospital). Luckily I had packed all her and Michael's bags the previous weekend. She was examined and once again were made to believe that the cramps were as a result of her urinary tract infection??????? She was admitted and put on a drip which thankfully saw her sleeping from around 03:00. I came home and once again battled to sleep but finally fell asleep at around 04:00. I then woke up at about 05:00 and quickly cleaned house after the previous day's affair like only a bachelor can. I was back at Lynmed by 06:00 and literally walked in as she woke up. Further tests confirmed that these "cramps" were roughly 5 min apart but she was NOT in labour. At about 09:00 the one nurse did acknowledge that these cramps were in fact contractions. Her Doctor finally saw her at around 11:30 but was adamant that she was not in full blown labour. I agree with this but to wait for what could possible be a day or two for her to go into labour did not seem viable to me as she was in a lot of pain at this stage. Both myself and the nurse then "convinced" the doctor do a C section as one of their concerns was the size of the child. He proceeded to try and get hold of an anaesthetist that could perform the operation as it was the 26th and they were all on holiday. He informed me at about 12:00 that we will go into theatre at 15:00. I had prepared the last 9 months for this moment but still felt a bit "unprepared". 14:50 I was told the OR was still in use and we would now only go in at 18:00. This made my heart sink as Chantal's contractions had intensified but not to the point where she was "in labour". The nurse came to me at 15:55 and informed me that we are going in NOW. We went in with one or two more incidents that I don't care to discuss but the moment had finally arrived. Mickey was finally removed from mommy's womb to face the cold and uncertain real world. I experienced a different kind of joy when I heard what was so obvious a cry from the top of his little voice but seemed "kind of soft"
He was out and my priorities, unbeknownst to me, were starting to change.There was now this tiny little dude that we were responsible for??? I saw responses from both family members and myself that I never thought I would ever see or experience.
He is now one day old and the full effect has only hit me now. He is truly the sweetest little thing I have ever seen. He weighed 3.64kg at birth and is very healthy. Some pic's I hear you say.......

I introduce to you, Michael John Buys,
A proud but tired smile from me,
Mom and son. Not at her best and in a lot of pain but still with enough energy left in her to muster up a smile.
....and today, little Mickey in a more peaceful manner. The tortoise makes it easy to keep tabs on his breathing as the head moves and to the left, well, I don't have to explain that one.

Both mom and baby are in excellent health and should be released from hospital by the 29th. He already has his first Brown House Snake on the way and I intend on registering him as a member on the THA in 2009. He also received as a Xmas prezzie from an aunt the book My first book of Southern African Snakes and other reptiles by Bill Branch.

I write this post with love in my heart for my new family member but also extremely tired. Thank you for allowing me to share with you the joy I know so many of you have already experienced.

Regards,
Elfie, Chantal and Michael
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:46 am

Congrat Elfie, that is good news and I'm glad everything went well.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09 pm

That is magic. Lets hope he follows in his dads footsteps and starts posting as soon as his spelling is up to scratch. Give the mommy a big kiss from all of us.

By the way he was born during 2008 and because you have a family membership of the THA for 2008 he is officially the youngest member of the THA. It would be great if he could be the youngest permit holder in Gauteng.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks for the sms :) Was great to hear from you and know all went well. You should come around for a beer :p and come introduce Michael to us :) Sure he is going to become an excellent herper.

I also noticed he has more hair than his dad. lol

How tall was he?

Love to Chantal and baby.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Q Ball » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 am

Thank you for all the kind words and support everyone.
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Yes thanks for the sms, big congratulations once again. We'll hook up sometime soon to meet your new little critter.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Q Ball » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:07 pm

How tall was he?

I believe he was about 54 cm or so ??????
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:22 pm

Congrats Daddy !!!

Welcome Mickey !

I wish you all the best with your new addition !!!

May he bring you much joy !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:20 pm

Only saw this post now. Please accept my apologies for a late response.

CONGRATULATIONS! What a gorgeous little boy! You and Chantal are blessed. Hope things are going well with settling into routines etc...

Enjoy your precious bundle of joy!

Michelle
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 am

Congratulations to you and Chantal on the birth of your boy. It is a life changing event, and a continuous learning experience, may he bring you many years of joy.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping