New Idea!

Re: New Idea!

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:13 am

The best thing would be in someone could coat this with some resin or polyeurethane coating like the expensive cooler boxes which are smooth and easy to clean but perfectly insulated.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:21 am

Question though. If you put in your IR & basking lights, would the ceramic fitting not melt the polystyrene?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:50 am

Certain heating devices should not be inside a cage in any case. If the heating device is hot enough to melt the polystyrene it is hot enough to burn your animal.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby animalfanatic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:03 pm

@Leo's He makes incubators aswell! Just give him a call!
animalfanatic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachdanan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Alright, I phoned this guy. He says he has been on the forum a few times as a guest but will try and join this weekend. Apparently he is writing an exam next week so his schedule is a bit hectic but he says he will try his best.
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

HI ALL: I SELL THE CAGES

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:40 am

To All,

Thank you for the interest in my product.

I apologies in advance for the long message but I did not know the post was going so replying to several questions

I am the guy who is selling these tanks,

My name is Marc Wright, and based in Randburg,

Firstly, thank you to animalfanatic for starting this post on my behalf, If you would like cages I will give you a discount.

To start with, the sizes provided are correct.

Micro - 470x300x290mm
Small - 600x340x300mm
Medium - 900x440x400mm
Large - 1200x540x500mm

The micro is a pre-mould box, however the other sizes are sheets put together like a wooden cage.

All the cages come with 4mm rail, 4mm glass, and air vents. I went with the 4mm as to not make the front to ‘front heavy’. They are well insulated, ideal if you require a high humidity tank and will never swell. However, also fine for normal corns and kings, rats milks and boas.

The cages are stackable and painted with a white, acid and lead free paint suitable for reptiles. The cages have a two air vents on the left as well as right hand sides. There is also a 50mm lip at the front of the cage.

To answer questions from the TOP down:

How Strong is it? :
I would not do a wwf move on it but wood has a density of 100, these cages gave a density of 80. So not as strong as wood but even pushing very hard on it you will not make a mark. No snake will push through it. It is not the normal packaging polystyrene, this stuff has been specially formulated and is also water tight.

Strengthening of cage:
The polystyrene used is 40mm thick, these cages are really strong and do not need any reinforcement. If you are planning on putting dragons or lizards in, then yes. A thin board can be used to line the polystyrene. I may look at supplying cages with this as an additional option.

Heating:
The polystyrene is stable up to 120*C, the normal silver stick on foil pads can be used as well as lighting. Normal bulbs can be used however, if one is worried then you can mount the fitting to a piece of wood and screw and glue the wood to the roof. This is only a precaution and I have nit done it in my own cages.

To Insaniac:
I appologise if you tried to call and I did not get back to you. I have been supplying reptile products and breeding reptiles for 10 years and am fairly well knowen with shops and breeders so I have nothing to hide about the quality of the product. I ma currently working part time, writing my final honours exams and trying to build and supply these cages. So have been slightly hectic. I do not have time to market in your area. So I would really like you to market them in Pretoria/Midrand. I still have a few of the mall in stock as a nice travel show cage. If you would still like to market them please contact me.

Current use of cages:
I am using the cages in my setup and are working beautifully. I managed to make 40 cages two weeks and was sold out in 5 days. Most of the customers where putting very high profile snakes into the cages such as green tree pythons, condros, red blood pythons, albino boas, as well as more common snakes such as corns, boas and sand boas.

All the customers have been happy with the operation of the cages. Most people have stacked the cages 4 or even 5 high.

Cost:
Burmbuddy, you right. Polystyrene is expensive. I have a really good supplier unavailable to the general public. That is why no one has done polystyrene cages before on a large scale, due to the cost.

I am trying to provide a very good quality product to the public at good prices, cages should not cost an arm and a leg. These are affordable but not sacrificing quality for your pet.

Not sure if I can post email and cell but here it is, I do not mind. Will place advert in SAreptiles as well.

If there are any further questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this page, email, sms or call me.

If you would like pics or full product price list please sms or email me.

Regards,
Marc Wright

Prices and contact numbers edited out. Please direct any advertising material to our Trading Post. Thanks.
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little”
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:05 am

Last edited by constrictor, on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little”
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

INCUBATORS

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:08 am

Did not realise that there where 3 pages of comments! sorry, Not that I am complaining :-)

Painting:
The cages can be painted in any colour. The paint must be a PVA.

Colour of cage:
Not hurd about problem of white environment. all that i have supplied thus far have been white. I have been keeping my boas and in the cage and they eating better than ever with the humidity and constant temperature for last 4 months. However, if is a real problem then can paint in any colour desired.

Do not get me wrong I am not questioning you, just not hurd that before. I will read up on net about it, but will only get back to you next Thursday as I right a major exam next Wednesday. I will look into it though, thank you for your concern.

Cleaning:
The polystyrene is surprisingly easy to clean if dust gathers on it just wipe it off, i thought it may get stuck in roughness, but very easy to clean.
The painting of the cage also provides a smooth feel to the cage, assists with cleaning as well.
I just use a substrate of newspaper and have painted bottom and a 5cm lip. Their mess cleans off very easy.

The cage will also not mould with high humidity like wood.

Incubators:
Incubators also available:

The incubators are highly accurate and specially made for reptile eggs. They are pre-mould, high density polystyrene with a thermostat built in, high watt heating pad (30w) (no light to dry out air) and water tight so fill bottom 5cm with water for humidity. Thermometers also available to monitor temperature (piece of mind, so you can check and make sure correct temperature) however, optional extra as thermostat is a built in regulator.

INCUBATORS!
DIMENSIONS OF INTERNAL AREA –

Small - 30L (450x270x260)
Medium - 60L (650 x 300 x 200)
Large -200L (1150 x 450 x 350)

Retail of Cages:
What I am looking at doing is supplying a knock down kit, this will include: rail, glass, polystyrene with air vents installed and glue. the cages take about 30 min to set up and for the purposes of transport will make life a lot easier.

Have micro and small in stock but at the moment waiting for stock on the med and large (end of next week.)

Any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reply to this page and I will get back to you, or via sms, call or email.

Regards,
Marc Wright
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 am

One more question I see I missed:

Coating of cages:
There is a product available at GREAT EXPENSE which is like a resin. I am still looking into it but probably cheaper to place a 3mm super wood board in bottom of cage and line sides so lizards do not scratch a whole in the side.

Think thats all for now,
Will try reply to every one as best as possible,
If i have missed your question please let me know and i will try get back to you asap.

Regards,
Marc Wright
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:21 am

Id Really be keen to see what the cages looks like.
^^
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby animalfanatic » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:59 am

Hi marc!

Thanks for the discount offer, but that was not my intentions.

Your cage price's are more than fair! I just wanted to help those out there who love reptiles but are on a tight buget!

As we all know the cost of an enclosure is usually more than the animal itself (usually a LOT more!), I think with these cages you are helping to make the hobby more accesable to others, which is great! The more support we have the better!

I am busy sorting out a herp room at the moment and was looking at different alternative's to bring the cost down but not to compromise the well being of the reptile's.I know the most sensible way to go for numerous snakes is a rack system, but I love watching my snakes! Luckily I have the space ,the room is 18mx5m, so I was looking at building my own enclosure's , but at your price's I might as well buy cages, if you take the cost of equipment etc. and of coarse time! Oh and before I forget , Less money spent on enclosure's=more money for snakes!:-)

As I am looking at buying about 10 cages for a start , I wouldn't mind the discount but let's make it fair! I know starting a new business is tough! I'll PM you what I have in mind!

Good luck with your business and hope all goes well!!

Johnny
animalfanatic
SA Reptiles Member

POLYSTYRENE CAGES AND INCUBATORS

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:50 pm

I all,

Any one who would like pics, please drop me a mail and I will forward you pics.

Regards,
Marc Wrght
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Whats the life expectancy of these cages, if properly cared for that is...
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby constrictor, » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:22 pm

How long will these cages last?:
Well in the long run a chip board cage if it gets wet will swell, and only last a few years,

These cages will not swell and cant really define a life span. I have used the same product as a Jacuzzi cover, it has been out in the open exposed to elements for about 7 years and is a bit dirty but spray it off now and again and looks good as new and not breaking apart or any thing like that.

These cages are not a make to temporary solution. They should outlast any wooden cage if looked after.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Marc
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 am

Sup Marc,

Glad to see your'e still alive...

Please pm me when your online again, I'd like to start helping where I can.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosure building