book recommendation

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

book recommendation

Postby axor » Sat May 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Can anyone recommend a good comprehensive book on a guide to indigineous snakes of Southern Africa ? (and price if known please)
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself" D. H. Lawrence
axor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sat May 19, 2007 8:19 pm

Complete guide to snakes of Southern Africa by Johan Marais. I have the Afrikaans version and I think that is the english name I bought it at CNA for R199.95 a few months back. I also have Field guide to snakes and other reptiles of Southern Africa bu Bill Branch which I bought for R189.95
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby axor » Sat May 19, 2007 9:55 pm

Just had a look at a review for the book by Johan Marais. Looks pretty good.

Thanks jka.
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself" D. H. Lawrence
axor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeek » Sat May 19, 2007 11:09 pm

I would suggest you go for Field guide to snakes and other reptiles of Southern Africa by Bill Branch as you get more for your money's worth as it does not only concentrate on snakes

Thats just my 2c worth
When one goes in search of honey
One must expect to be stung
Zeek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spikelet » Sun May 20, 2007 8:03 am

I find the pictures in Johan Marais' book better quality (they are clearer and brighter) but then again I am a complete newbie at snake identification. Bill Branch is more comprehensive but the photos were not great in the book I picked up - maybe it was the publishing run or something? possibly if you are more experienced then this would be a good book to purchase.

I would recon your best bet would be to head to some book store and compare the two as the photos are very different for them both - you can then decide from there.
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 am

Zeek has a point, are there any other field guides besides Bill Branch's that cover Southern African lizards?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 20, 2007 11:00 am

From a scientific / taxanomic point of view I would much rather go with the Bill Branch book. If you can afford it buy both but if you can only afford one the Bill Branch book covers all the reptiles compared to some glossy snakes pics with a bit of info.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Sun May 20, 2007 12:44 pm

The Johan book is excellent - a friend brought it back from SA with her her husband and son live there and he has a brown house snake.

Johan's book is excellent quality. I got the 4th impression of it and its excellent it has many colour plates, very many scale counts and prertty much just a fantastic little book for you.

Spelling fixed - BB
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun May 20, 2007 1:15 pm

There is a current need for a good field-guide on southern African Lizards. The taxonomy has changed in recent years for some species.

Chimaira has just published a book on African Venomous Snakes.
I have just been commissioned for a book on African Elapids. My current forthcoming book only covers vipers (Viperinae).
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby axor » Sun May 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Just come from Exclusive books.

I went with Johan Marias's "A complete guide to the snakes of Southern Africa"

Cost R214, worth every sent. Good pics, good info.

What I like about it is that is has pictures of the different colouration of some species, eg. has 4 different pics of the berg adder (bitis atropos)

Had a look at "field guide to snakes and other reptiles" by Bill Branch. looks like a excellent book as well. Will get it at the end of the month though.

Thanks for the help.
axor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun May 20, 2007 2:12 pm

I have shown a variety of types from different locations - e.g. the caudalis from Namibia and the one from Beaufort West look completely different.

Am looking for a good vaal bergie photo - Spikelet???
armata

Postby Spikelet » Sun May 20, 2007 5:51 pm

LOL, Armata - sent you an email on wednesday night ;) let me know if it got spammed or not - also sent you a pm.
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun May 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Oh righto, thanks will get back to you
armata

Postby Rob » Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 am

I agree with the general consensus that you should try get both Branch and Marais book.
They both perform different functions. Put it this way, Johan takes Bill Branchs book with him when he goes herping.
I feel Johans book makes for easier reading with interesting info and pics are far better, but you can't do without Branchs book
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon May 21, 2007 3:13 pm

I agree with the general consensus that you should try get both Branch and Marais book.
They both perform different functions. Put it this way, Johan takes Bill Branchs book with him when he goes herping.
I feel Johans book makes for easier reading with interesting info and pics are far better, but you can't do without Branchs book

Branch Rocks!!!
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis

Next

Return to General Reptile Keeping