Tail Trauma

Tail Trauma

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Guys

I have a question, could not find the answer. I am new to Iguana keeping and have read in just about every caresheet not to handle them by the tails as to prevent tail trauma. I had the unfortunate event where one of our dogs managed to get into my reptile room (Don't ask me how, I don't know how!) Thing is I was holding a young iguana in my hand, next thing I know the flippen dog barks next to me jumped up and the iguana di'n't like this. (neither would I) so he jump before I could get a handle on the situation that was bound to unfold here with the dog in the room. The iguana jump straight for the dog's face and the dog just waiting for the iguana to land. I had no other choice I had to catch it in mid air. We all know how fast a Jack Russel can be. I got him on the belly but with all the stress he didn't want to know anything about being held. He got out of my hand and I had him by the tail. I kicked the dog away (I don't normally kick my dogs) to make space to let him down on the floor. This happend in about 2 seconds, if that long.

I picked him up properly before the dog came back for a second try, I took the dog out before trying to put the iguana back as there is another 2 in the same enclosure and the last thing I wanted was 3 iguanas out and about with a dog ready to munch them. The iguana looked fine, but I did notice in kink in the tail about halfway down. (the dog is fine also)

So thats the whole story in short. All I need to know now is. I was unable to avoid tail trauma to the iguana, what happens now. Does the tail have to be amputated or will it heal or what should I do. I live in Sinovill PTA, and if need be can get to Onderste Poort. There is a Vet but I have no contact details for her.

Any advice will be apreciated, or contact details for Reptile vets in PTA North area.

Thanks everyone
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tail Trauma

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 pm

If the tail is not off it will probably just grow slightly off centre. Dont worry about it. Post a picture if you can. You can also put the tail in a splint with two ice cream sticks and some plasters. That will aid the recovery but dont make it too tight.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby herpcrazy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 am

After a tail got broken, setting it back in place can cut of circulation and cause the tail to "die", ending offcourse in a stump. Had the same problem with my dog, fell of a rock, broke his tail. Then the vet told me what I just told u. So rather a little skew tail than no tail hey.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 am

Luckily its not that bad, will post pictures tonight. I was told by someone else that it will cause the tail to get septic and then the iguana will die. This didn't make any sense to me as it is unlikely for it to get septic if it is not an open wound. Thus me asking for more advise first before just amputating the tail. As I understand there is in this case also the risk that the tail may not grow back ending in a stump and if the tail grows back they loose those beautiful bands on the tails, as it will only grow back in a single color.

If there is no risk to the iguana, then I'll just leave it as like I said its is not that bad. But I'll still post the pictures tonight just to make 100% sure on your thoughts.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 pm

Here is the picture of the tail, it looks normal on the photo, I'll try and take photos of another angle over the weekend. But I must say after second look it also doesn't look that bad. They were still warm around 34C in the basking spot area when I got home, so almost no chance of getting them to pose for me and a big lens. On Saturday I'll take some photo's before switching on the UV and Basking light.

Thanks again for the advice
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Just a couple of other pics I took of them tonight.

Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Iguanas