My Carpet Chameleon went missing

My Carpet Chameleon went missing

Postby lala » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 pm

I have a pair of Carpet Chameleons - each in their own flexarium. So about a week ago my male went missing (the flexarium's zip was closed???? - so I still don't know how - there was some workers here that day). Any case - I searched for him all over our yard with no success. And then after a week - my gardener called me because the chameleon is sitting OUTSIDE the flexarium - so I thought 'Oh no - almost my female ran away also!" - Just to discover it's the male that's back!! I was overwhelmed with joy! So he survived for a week outside in our garden - and there's was a few cold nights (it's snowed in Clarens) and we had some rain!!
lala
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Carpet Chameleon went missing

Postby Spider » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Great story. Happy that you found him alive again!
Very bizzarre though. :smt017
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Glad it turned out ok. This might seem like an obvious question, but did you look for any holes etc?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 am

...I suspect those "people" let him out...
dum dum dum....!
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby lala » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Wolf777 wrote:Glad it turned out ok. This might seem like an obvious question, but did you look for any holes etc?

Yes - I did ! And there's no holes! Just glad my story had a happy ending!
lala
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Really weird, I would keep an eye on those workers.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lala » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Wolf777 wrote:Really weird, I would keep an eye on those workers.

They were only here for 2days...
lala
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:41 am

Its great you found him, if he ever goes missing just put the female outside, he will probably try getting into her cage to get him. And at night use a torch and if the light shines on him he will be a very noticeable lime green colour. My chams are always outside but on thursdays they have to come in early because the gardners come, they told me they want chameleons so they can cut their tails off and wear them as good luck charms...they say they are willing to pay for them, but I dont think 2000- 3500 each, can fit their budget...
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lala » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Chamssss wrote:Its great you found him, if he ever goes missing just put the female outside, he will probably try getting into her cage to get him. And at night use a torch and if the light shines on him he will be a very noticeable lime green colour. My chams are always outside but on thursdays they have to come in early because the gardners come, they told me they want chameleons so they can cut their tails off and wear them as good luck charms...they say they are willing to pay for them, but I dont think 2000- 3500 each, can fit their budget...

Thank you for the tips - will remember that! Not that I want a repeat of this situation ever again!
lala
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:52 am

This is interesting. I had Bradypodion species from the Cape a long time ago, and they started dying out. So i let them all go on a bush in the garden hopeing that atleast some would survive. There was one male that always came back, for around a year and lived in the garden for so long. I would always find him on a large Ficus sp.

This chameleon was wild caught but so calm that it would hand feed, eat flies off me after i swam and i would even wake it up at night to feed it if i had a cricket.

Chameleons are quite intelligent, i see this from my stock. But i must say that monitor lizards, to me are the most mammal like in terms of intelligence.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Just the other day a guy in America lost his adult male veiled, he told all his neighbors about it too maybe find it again and a year later he gets a call from a person about 4 blocks down from his house, they found the chameleon and he went to go fetch him and there he was at the top of a 2 storry building holding onto the side of a door.
I dont know how well they would do in S.A but if they survive you might just find them again!
Someone in S.A did actualy find an adult male veiled near their house a few weeks back...
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:56 pm

*Just the other day I heard about a guy....*
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby psyrocco » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Wow interesting, glad you found him. Would of been sad if he got picked up by a Indian miner or something :-?
psyrocco
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons