Help needed with newborn Cape Dwarf Chameleon

Help needed with newborn Cape Dwarf Chameleon

Postby chammie-mamma » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi

I'm new to the board and (as you will see by my really scientific terms) a newbie to the chameleon world. Our garden seems to be a huge draw for chameleons - and it seems baby season is upon us. I noticed a baby chameleon just out of its "slime bag". The "slime" seemed to have dried on him and he was very distressed as he was stuck on some weeds. I managed to free him, but one of his hands and one of his feet won't open. They almost seem glued together. He drags the back leg also. This means he can't climb well, so I've got him in my house at the moment, but he goes outside during the day. I've had him for 3 days, but I'm worried that he isn't eating or drinking. I don't know what to feed him as he is so tiny - the tree he comes from has masses of flies, but they are all to big to feed my little one. Any suggestions as to what I can feed him? I don't know if I should just let him try and fend for himself, but I am almost positive he will not survive due to the climbing. I am really worried - please help!
chammie-mamma
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help needed with newborn Cape Dwarf Chameleon

Postby Jaco Smit » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Here is the sad part. You may not keep him/ her unfortunately. You can get a major fine for doing so. Great save but as soon as it can mobe around it should move around outside. Have it try and eat on its own. You can catch flies and take the wings off nd put it in the cage. Further please remember to take a cheap spray bottle and " mist" the cage once or twice daily and have a branch from the same tree for it to climb and move on. Thumbs up for the save and good luck on the little one. Dont transport the guy in a car since even that is highly illegal. Keep him safe but protect youself from the laws they have in WC.
Happy Herping.
Jaco Smit
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chammie-mamma » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:48 am

Hi Jaco

Thanks for your reply. Trust me, I fully intend to let him go once he is strong enough (I've got dogs, hamsters, fish and a child - that's more than enough for me!). The problem is just that I can't let him go while he can't climb. I've emailed Butterfly World in Cape Town to find out if they won't perhaps take him. Let's hope they get back to me. Thanks again!
chammie-mamma
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 am

I would think you could soak the feet some how so that the mucus softens and use something like a soft paint brush to clean it up. Unless it has a deformity. Then find the closes rotten banana etc and place it outside in a bowl to attract some fruit flies. You can place in close to the banana once the flies arrive. There are plentiful now days but depends on the area.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons