Importing Panther chameleons

Importing Panther chameleons

Postby lerikoen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 am

Hi all. I just need some advice regarding Panther chameleons - and possibly importing them from overseas. I've looked at different places to purchase panther chameleons, and online petstores I've looked at seem very knowledgeable, and one specifically (Screameleons) gaurantee the chameleons will arrive alive. Although, then they have to go through the quarintine process, which makes me nervous. :smt005

So, what I'm asking is - are their chameleon owners out there who have imported chameleons from overseas, and if so, what was your experience and would you recommend it?
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Importing Panther chameleons

Postby Chamssss » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 am

Hey.
There is already a thread aboout this subject on the forum
I've looked into it myself too and I used to have all the documents needed for everyrthing but my pc bombed out and I don't have them anymore. Its not easy to import them but it can be done. You'll need your own quarantine station built to certain specifications. The quarantine procedure is 30 days where they have to be at a constant temperature of 28 degrees for the full 30 days.

You need to apply for various permits for this procedure.

An important has be done before a few years ago and I think there is now the 3rd generation from those original imports. Quite a number of them were imported but not many made it out alive. There was a male nosy faly that was bred with the panthers that were here from Daivd Haggett and then there are pure Nosy Mitsios (believed to be nosy mitsios as the female that laid the eggs was labbeled incorrectly, they are actually maroansetras).

Also most exporters from the US charge a minimum of $3000 per order. Its a very expensive process and not many chameleons will make it out alive.

Why not just buy a panther from what is already available here in South Africa from that import and previous smugglings? There are plenty babies available in JHB and there are some also available in Cape Town, they range from R1500-R2000 each, not a bad price.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am

That's import not important. If you desperately want a panther send me a pm like I told you a while ago, I can help you get one.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 pm

You can also just rent a quarantine facility. An entire room usually goes for around R5000 for the month. Making sure they are fed and watered properly is usually the problem. The cost of bringing them in is usually double what the price list price indicates. That is if you have very few deaths. The higher the mortalities the higher the cost per specimen goes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby lerikoen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Seems that trying to source them locally might be easier in the long run. I read the older post about importing - but it was from quite a few years back, so was wondering if the process had become simpler over the years, but apparantly it hasn't changed that much. Thanks for comments!
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons