HELP NEEDED WITH FLAP-NECK CHAMELEON

HELP NEEDED WITH FLAP-NECK CHAMELEON

Postby divanb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi all,

Last weekend we came across this guy selling chameleons next to road near Sun City. And as I’m interested in a veiled chameleon, I have read a lot of posts to realise that this guy is selling flap-necks and illegal to have/sell without a permit. So we stopped and after a while managed to get all 3 of them without paying.
So we drove about 2km up the road just to release them again. However the one had a problem climbing and I noticed that it was not gripping/holding with its front right foot. So we took it with us to try getting it better and then releasing it as we KNOW they are illegal to keep.
Not sure if it got injured or some sort of vitamin/calcium shortage. We did go to the pet shop and asked around and they gave us the following:

1. REPTAID Organic antibiotic
2. REPTIMED BONE AID
3.Calcium Supplement with D3.

We also bought:
UVB light
Infra-red light
Crickets
Super worms

We would like to get advice on the following. What do you guys think is wrong with its foot and how do we feed and give the calcium and medication.
We have also seen there are bumps on the side of it, looks like it’s on the ribs. Not sure.
She also don't want to drink any water, but likes the crickets and superworms.I have noticed sometimes it looks like her tummy expands when breathing?

We would really appreciate all the help we can get!!! To get it better and releasing it.

Thank you for all the advice.
Have attached some pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Re: HELP NEEDED WITH FLAP-NECK CHAMELEON

Postby Wallas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Were are you from, Honeydew vet has a reptile expert that may help.
Wallas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:05 pm

Dust the food with calcium (Bone aid is probably the best) and spray her cage with water at least once a day.

The damage could have been during capture. Just give it as much as what you can and hold thumbs. They are delicate creatures.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby divanb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have only the liquid bone Aid? Can I put it on the food I feed her?
Do you perhaps know what the bumps on her sides may be?
I really hope her front leg will heal with time.
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby divanb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 am

Can anyone tell me what the bumps on her side may be?
Can it be from MBD? How can I tell if she is pregnant?
Will she be OK in an outside enclosure if she can't use her right front foot?
Do I need to give the Bone Aid liquid every day?

Im really concerned about her.

Thank you
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:03 am

Wild chameleons generally do not suffer from MBD so dont worry about that. She could be pregnant it is not easy to tell from the photos. If you have her in a huge aviary outside then she can dig a hole and bury her eggs if need be. Lots of bushes will help her climb. Three legged chameleons do fine in the wild too.

I have never used liquid bone aid. Try sprinkling some on the food you give her.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby divanb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 am

Thank you for the response.

I have her in an enclosure in the house at the moment (with the correct lights and an humidifier next to her cage)
I put the cage outside from 2 o clock in the afternoon. Will that be ok? I work till 2.
Can I put a container with "washed Playsand" in her cage? Or what kind of sand will be the best? If she is pregnant?
Can I leave the container in her cage?
Otherwise we will make her a big cage outside. What kind of plants will be the best for cage ?
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Dont use sand but rather using potting soil. From 2 onwards will be fine. Any non toxic flowering plants will be great.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby divanb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Thank you Bushviper.
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LanceJeffery » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm

How is the Chameleon doing? Yellow colouration is never a good sign with chameleons (refering to the colouration on the skin rather than the yellow displayed when angry on the neck). Well done on going through the effort of buying the necessary lighting/caging etc. When you say it won't drink do you mean it won't drink from a water bowl or have you tried misting it and it won't drink?.
LanceJeffery
SA Reptiles Member

Postby divanb » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:23 am

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I mist the leaves in her cage.In the beginning when we got her she went to the leaves to drink but not anymore:( I don't know why? I took her to the vet on Tuesday, he said her foot is only sprained and will heal.he gave me medication for the inflammation. He said overall is she in a good condition.From wednesday I really don't know what's wrong with her.Her whole right front LEG is now just hanging, she can't use the leg at all. I really don't know what to do anymore.
divanb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gerhard ch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Is there nobody we can report these guys too that are selling the chameleons. I work in the area and find them quite often on that crossing.
Gerhard ch
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons