Ridge Tail Monitors Breeding?

Re: Ridge Tail Monitors Breeding?

Postby Cobra100 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:28 pm

No humidity.....do they lay their eggs in dry sand? do i incubate them dry?
The brave may not live long...but the cautious don't live at all!
Cobra100
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I am not disagreeing with the slate stack, they are very good for thermoregulation and when i had ridgetails i used them myself. They are widely recomended for all dwarf monitors from Australia from what i have read and heard. In the states they make them out of wooden sheets and are commonly known as retes stacks, named this because the concept was first thought of in america by the big time australian monitor breeder Frank Retes.

Good luck all the best,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aluston » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm

There is first link of the search about keeping them. The author has done it. And it can would be done of many variants, your is the any working. The inventory required some of the experience and livestock)))

Enclosure
I had a nice enclosure ready for my pair of ackies, the cage was 150 cm long, 62 cm wide and 62 cm high. I had dressed the enclosure walls with Styrofoam and cement, to create an artificial rockwall for the animals to climb and utilise. On the bottom of the cage I put a layer of clay and sand, to make sure that the animals could dig in the substrate. The animals really appreciate a thick layer of clay to dig in. I also use a small bowl of water in the enclosure to enable the animals to drink, they don’t drink often but they need the possibility to drink. I used one T-rex UV heat lamp and one 60 watt light bulb for heating and UV. This lightbulb configuration offers the animals two sunspots one of approximately 55 °C and one of 45 °C. The animals get about 12 tot 13 hours of light a day.

Breeding
When the animals are about 1,5 to 2 years old they reach sexual maturity. I have successfully bred these monitors once, while I had eggs for two times now. The second time I lost the eggs because of a kind of fly that had laid eggs in the eggs of the monitor. To get these lizards to copulate it is important to either separate the lizards or give them a winter rest. Personally is I offer the animals a winter rest. The winter rest lasts for approximately 2 months, in which I offer the animals 6 to 7 hours of light in the enclosure. The animals are less active and when you start to increase the hours of light the animals mate in about two months. Mating behaviour with these monitors consists of tong-flicking and twisting with the tail. After a few hours of this behaviour the animals copulate in a standard lizard-mating. After about 6 weeks the female lays her eggs in a shallow hole. Female monitors are notorious for eating their own eggs. Females position the eggs in the nest sometimes, so don’t mistake this behaviour for eating of the eggs. I always remove the male when the female is pregnant, because most times he stresses the female with mating opportunity’s and could try to eat the eggs.

Source
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)