Problem monitors

Problem monitors

Postby top dog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:37 am

Okay two weeks ago i droped my tame calm bosc monitors at my local pet shop to baby sit. i have now collected them and they are now not calm at all they are agro. They are both 45cm plus so it aint fun trying to handle they. Any ideas how to get them calm again. will they calm down quicker seeing as they where once calm.
thanks
top dog

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:18 am

top dog If they were tame they will tame down easily again. Just take your time and handle them gently especially early in the morning when they are cold and less likely to run away. Two weeks of trauma will not change them completely.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby top dog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 pm

Two weeks seems to have done alot but hey maybe i must just get some welding gloves and forget this odd senses of self preservation that i have.
Thanks
top dog

Postby Urizen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:41 pm

My bosc has always been pretty tame, then a week ago, he decided to crawl behind my bed and fall asleep while I was cleaning his cage. Sufice to say he was not happy having me move the bed and wake him up, it was alot of hissing, tail whipping and attempted biting. I eventually left the room, and he had calmed down. But for a few days he was jumpy, but handling again and feeding has appeared to bring him back to his soft side. While not as extreme (?) as your case, I reck they'll come right.
Urizen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Problem monitors

Postby Tarantula » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:08 pm

When we bought our Bosch he was already 40cm and not the tamest dude on the block. He once got hold of my shoe and would've caused serious damage if it was not for the shoe, so I'm a bit wary when handling him. However my husband has been handling him on the fairly regular basis. He likes being closed with a blanket and then lying next to my husband falls asleep. If he could get this kind of results with one that was not tame I'm sure yours will calm down again. We once droped our beardies at the local petshop for caring and they also acted strange for a while afterwards but just handled them and all was okay again.
Tarantula
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Problem monitors

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Tarantula

This is quite an old post, just a heads up they are bosc's monitors not bosch, they named after the person who first observed the species (who's name has just slipt my mind - winter shut down).

I had the same experience with boarding mine, but have a very different approach than handeling. Check out the thread 'new bosc's monitor' for an extensive discussion on bosc's, there is a lot of interesting topics brought up in the thread.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)