Second envenomation by Bosc monitor

Re: Second envenomation by Bosc monitor

Postby Krokkie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am

I have experienced the exact same symptoms after I've been bitten by my monitors. But only when they clamp down on my fingers without letting go. That is when envenomation takes place. The venom runs along tiny grooves in the teeth, and the venom glands are situated in the lower jaws. A regular glancing bite or an accidental bite at feeding time will not cause symptoms, for venom isn't squeezed out from the lower jaws. When handling a semi-tamed or a wild young monitor, use a piece of cloth for it to bite. After a few weeks the monitor will stop biting like that because it will learn that you won't try to drop it or get it off, and keep stroking it on the back while it bites the cloth. The monitor will learn that you will stroke it even if it bites. It will learn that you will pick it up anyway even if it bites you. So biting becomes pointless after some weeks. It is not good to get envenomated often, for each reaction seems worse than the previous one (in my case). Very tame adults and subadults rarely bite like that after they've been tamed.
Krokkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 am

@ mitsipedro :

Venom doesn't necessarily have to come from a venom gland.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but...

The salivary glands of many, if not all, species of monitor lizards produce venom in very low concentrations with vestigal function (Fry et al., 2006). The effect of these proteins on humans is negligible and the animals are not considered venomous. Complications arising from lizard bites are almost aways the result of infections via the bacteria in the saliva.

Also, their delivery system is poorly developed, and most of the venom (including the bacteria ) only flows around their teeth in the lower jaw.

IMO This could have a lot to o with the differences in bite effects..?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 am

Insaniac you cannot get a reaction from bacteria within minutes. Although that is possible as with any bite the venom does have an effect on humans as I have witnessed this too often for it to be a coincidence that everyone has exactly the same symptoms.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey BV,

I agree, and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they DON'T have venom, just that adverse reactions like stomach cramps and diahorrea might be accreditted to the bacteria rather than the venom.

The immediate effects spoken about ( neck stiffness etc. ) has to be the venom.

Also just stated that some people might have more adverse reactions because they get in contact with more venom..
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:22 am

Sorry, to add...

By saying ..." getting in contact with more venom "... I mean:

That some guys like Boadicea, who tried to pry off the biter, actually squeezed the animal on the jawline, pushing out more venom from the recesses between the jaw and cheek.

A normal bite alone would not let you get in contact with that much venom, as it lies fairly far down and doesn't collect close to the teeth.

Hence the constant chomping motion when tackling bigger prey...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)