Cape Baboon

Re: Cape Baboon

Postby herpitologica » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:57 pm

That is true,if natcon can't id it can they take it from you?I was flipping rocks yesterday and found a little tarantula that looks the identical twin to my chaco golden knee.
I went to natcon in PE two years ago and also just got stone walled with "THE LIST".i couldn't find out what was on the list,what wasn't on the list,when said list was being published....
When i went back two weeks later to sort out a permit issue i was given another whole load of bs about "The List"
So i just went home,ordered what i wanted and got on with it.If this list ever sees the light of day and it looks like it's being implemented seriously i will then make the adjustments needed...read into that what you will.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tie Black » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi nortinus

It is currently illegal to keep tarantulas or baboon spiders as pets in the Western Cape. Tarantulas and baboon spiders are illegal in the Western Cape, and baboon spiders are illegal in all provinces. It makes absolutely NO difference if they were bred in captivity or not! Be careful believing what people tell you.

The person(Leanne) who told you that you can keep a "Cape baboon spider" legally, is talking rubbish. And likely the only reason she said that, is because she has absolutely no clue what the law says, and knows nothing about tarantulas or baboon spiders.

Firstly...lets take the name: "Cape baboon spider"
Is this Western Cape, Eastern Cape or Northern Cape? There are currently 23 described baboon spider species from the provinces with a "Cape" in.

Secondly...who uses a common name when describing an animal that is allowed to be kept legally? I know nothing about snakes, but it would be similar to saying, "Sure, you can keep black snakes legally." My idea of a black snake might be completely different to someone elses idea of a black snake. A mole snake and a black mamba come to mind! It makes absolutely no sense.

Its true that these officials would likely not know the difference between a local spider and a tarantula, but I know that experts have been used to identify smuggled animals before, and if I was asked to identify a baboon spider for Nature conservation officials, I would do it gladly.

I'd rather have a situation where someone is keeping an exotic, captive bred tarantula and keeping quiet about it, than somebody hiding the fact that they have collected a baboon spider out of its natural habitat, and are keeping it as a pet.

Good luck finding(and keeping quiet about) a tarantula.
Tie Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SerpenS » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm not a scientist, but through a little research(took me about three months), a T collector should know the small differences between baboons and imported species, I doubt that cape nature can id the differences by the way they awnsered the questions.
correct me if i'm wrong, but sometimes their knowledge tend to be useless.
But even I work through them if I want some info, and cape nature does wonders in the parks, so I won't break them down...completely... ;P
SerpenS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby avellopsis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:30 pm

It is illegal to keep Theraphosids in the Western Cape Provence. That means NO Baboon Spiders or Tarantulas. Tarantulas(exotics are OK in other Provences but not in the WC.
Norman.

Norman Larsen
(Associate Arachnologist
Iziko, South African Natural History Museum.)
16 Plantation Rd
Devil's Peak
Cape Town
Cell: 0836981943
Home: 0214614460
Email: avellopsis@telkomsa.net
Web: www.biodiversityexplorer.org.za
avellopsis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 pm

avellopsis wrote:It is illegal to keep Theraphosids in the Western Cape Provence.

Avellopsis do you have any idea why the Western Cape is the only province to ban exotic Tarantulas?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm

They are scared that captive, imported T's escape and breed with local big spiders (E.g., rain spiders). At least that is what I was told when inquiring.
0.1.0. Wildtype corn snake
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Luckily Oudtshoorn is in the Southern Cape.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:02 pm

it_bit_me wrote:Luckily Oudtshoorn is in the Southern Cape.

whahahaha!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Tarantula keeping