arachnophobia

arachnophobia

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Hey guys,

I can't believe I'm even posting something on this side of the Forum, that's how scared I am of spiders.

Anyway the reason I am posting is not to tell how scared I am of spiders, but rather to ask which will be a nice display spider? I have absolutely no desire to pick one up and carry it around, but I figure the best way to get over my fear is to get one and care for it, spiders are the only thing that I have a fear of, so maybe I can get over my fear.

It doesn't have to be the friendliest of spiders just nice looking, will cross the bridge of moving to a new container for cleaning when I get to that bridge. I have no idea where to begin or what to look for in a spider.

Thanks

Eben
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: arachnophobia

Postby mailjvdb » Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi Eben,

Most Bird Eaters make good display animals, but most are also considered bold and defensive. If you have arachnophobia, I wont recommend something like that, as some species can be quite scary to rehouse or work with, but then again if you get a sling, you can "grow into it"

I used to have serious phobia of spiders, and today I proudly own 19 different species!!! Out of those, I must admit that my plain ol' Curly and Chilean Rose remains may favorites out of all of them, and I can surely recommend a Brachypelma albopilosum. They are cost effective, grow quite big, are one of the most docile tarantulas you'll ever come across, and in my opinion not a bad looking spider! If its a hobby meant for you, I doubt you will stop with one anyways!
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev3 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I used to have the same problem. I overcame it by holding one. Getting one and keeping it in a tank will in my opinion not overcome your phobia but will probably heighten it just because you have something around you the whole time that you are scared of. Also, if you are that scared of handling it I don't see how you are going to look after it properly. I held a rain spider for what felt like 40 minutes until I was completely at ease holding it and then went on to getting a Chilean Rose for myself which was very docile.

My advice, go to someone with a docile spider, sit on a bed in case you drop it, and hold it until the sweat stops dripping and you are relaxed. Well that's what worked for me anyway... Overcome your fear first and you'll enjoy them a lot more and potentially save some money if you don't get over it...
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata
1.1.0 Python regius
0.0.1 Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix
0.1.0 Crotalus atrox
1.1.0 Naja Kaouthia
0.1.0 Iguana iguana
Kev3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mammon » Tue May 24, 2011 7:43 pm

My first was a Chilean Rose and the red ones are very underated and extremely gorgeous as adults.
Always out in the open and docile enough to handle when you are ready.
All Brachypelmas are a good choice and make nice display pets.
www.the-spider-shop.com
mammon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue May 24, 2011 7:43 pm

I do not keep spiders, but do get the occasional rain spider I need to put outside, love them! mailjvdb, how are Goliath Bird Eating Spiders? I want to see one, hear they are the largest in the world, grow up to the size of a small board in which you place tea cups (daai pierinkie goed)
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 24, 2011 11:32 pm

I think I'll skip on the Goliath bird eaters for now thanks. I will google the other specimens and look at what they look like as adults and do some research into their care etc. Although I fear them, I will not get one if I am not prepare to look after them the same as my snakes. I thought that looking for a nice display spider would be nice, but it seems that the best display spiders might be a bit aggressive to my liking, the last thing is a spider waiting for the chance to jump me when I open the cage at feeding time hehehe Lol. So yes, maybe a start with a sling and raise it myself and get more use to the size as it grows. Will let you know which one I decide on
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 am

A B Albopilosum wil be a great T - when small they digg and burrow, but as they grow they stay in the open all the time. Rosies are great, but mine is evil, they also fast for months, so that may be a bit frustrating. Another option is a Chaco GOlden Knee. Don't have one myself, but they are super docile. You could also get a Green Bottle Blue - slightly skittish, but stunning colours, webs a lot, and out in the open all the time.

The list of spiders that you could get since you do not want to handle them are as long as my arm. Not all display spiders are aggressive, depending on their mood they may be a bit skittish or defensive.

Do your research, and let us know what you decide!
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 am

Haha, dude, im not really worried about spiders too much, but those green bottle blues are damn fast!! Quite scary when they sprint across the cage and up the side!!
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Wed May 25, 2011 3:50 pm

@Rodwraylva - I have never owned one, but judging by other Theraphosa's, they are best left to more advanced keepers and probably kick a lot of hair. I do however think there are a few better options out there if big spiders are your thing. Like Lasiodora sp.

@bubblesharp - I have never had a spider try to "jump me", but as mentioned, some can be extremely fast, and make attempt at escape every opportunity they get, usually this is common with most Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus species. The owner usually does not expect it, and only method of trying to catch the spider is using the hand to grab it... Usually when things get ugly!

Chacos are also nice, grow big and have nice coloration, also docile usually, but I find they sometimes also go on long fasts, which could make it a little boring to a beginner. Just remember, every spider has its own personality, and even the most docile of species may have a few "bad seeds" in them.
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 am

Bubblesharp: Don't listen to people who tell you that this will make your arachnophobia worse. My dad was so scared that when he was in the army, they were camped in the bush somewhere and my dad was on partol when dozens of red romans came out of the sandbags, trying to get into the shade and my dad was so scared of spiders that he pulled out his R4 rifle and started shooting the little buggers. But now that I've started keeping tarantulas he isn't so scared anymore. He won't handle them but he will acctually come into my spider room and have a look at them. So this would be help you a lot, and then one day you will think "Why was I ever so scared of spiders when I was never scared of keeping huge snakes like Burms?" But yeah, go for a Brachypelma or Grammostola Species first.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 am

bubblesharp wrote:Hey guys,
I can't believe I'm even posting something on this side of the Forum, that's how scared I am of spiders.
Anyway the reason I am posting is not to tell how scared I am of spiders, but rather to ask which will be a nice display spider? I have absolutely no desire to pick one up and carry it around, but I figure the best way to get over my fear is to get one and care for it, spiders are the only thing that I have a fear of, so maybe I can get over my fear.
It doesn't have to be the friendliest of spiders just nice looking, will cross the bridge of moving to a new container for cleaning when I get to that bridge. I have no idea where to begin or what to look for in a spider.
Thanks
Eben

Welcome to the dark side :smt006 :lol:, Joking but welcome. Just to warn you scared or not scared of tarantulas once the bug bytes you you tend to get addicted and you collection grows in numbers!

Well I think you have a special case on your hands as you said you not worried about the friendlist or re-housing, that means you have a big selection of tarantulas to choose from!
The nice thing about your tarantulas is you just have to make sure they got food, water, nice home and a secure lid(to prevent escapes). and you never have to handle your tarantulas.

This is some of the tarantulas I have in my collection and all of them are out and about. Most of the tarantulas mentioned below flick utracting hairs (a type of spider itchy powder :) )
I would suggest if you would like to have the chance of getting a female, buy two slings and your chances will increase to 50% chance of getting a female!

Look at this site and match up the names I gave to you to see how the tarantulas will look this will also help you make up you mind. http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/gallery-tarantulas.php

utracting hairs
1st Acanthoscurria brocklehursti - Brazilian white banded/ Giant black and white
1st Acanthoscurria geniculata - Brazilian whiteknee, Giant whiteknee

utracting hairs
4th Brachypelma albopilosum - Honduran curlyhair/ Curlyhair
4th Brachypelma boehmei - Mexican Fireleg
4th Brachypelma smithi - Mexican redknee
4th Brachypelma vagans - Mexican redrump

5thGrammostola aureostriata - Chaco golden knee
5thGrammostola rosea - Chilean Rose Hair/ Chilean Rose

utracting hairs
3rd Lasiodora difficilis - Fiery redrump
3rd Lasiorides klugi - Baja scarlet/ Scarlet birdeater/ Bahia Scarlet ( there has been a couple females breed, maybe soon there will be slings)
3rd Lasiodora parahybana - Brazilian salmon pink

utracting hairs
2ndNhandu chromatus - White Striped Birdeater
2ndNhandu vulpinus - Brazilian Giant Blonde

Arboreals species
1stPsalmopoeus cambridgei - Trinidad Chevron
1stPsalmopoeus pulcher - Panama Blond
1stPsalmopoeus irminia - Sun tiger

3rdPoecilotheria fasciata - Sri-Lankan ornamental
3rdPoecilotheria ornate - Fringed ornamental
3rdPoecilotheria striata - Mysore ornamental
3rdPoecilotheria regalis
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Mmm maybe I should get a daddy long leg? Hehehe

No seriously, I will start having a look next week when I am home again, spending some quality time with my family this weekend.
Next week I'll start looking at all the options you guys has suggested and then make up my mind, then I need to built the courage to go and actually buy one. On second thoughts I'll have one delivered at home, that way there is no possibility of escape in my car while I am driving! Hehe just joking... I think!

I found a spider behind one of the pillows tonight in the chalet we stay in, I was seriously startled, did not expect to find one, but hey I put the pillow back and sat down... For about 5 min, then decided I was close enough to it and moved to a different spot. One of these days I'll hold a tarantula without photo's no one will believe it!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping