Scorpion ID - Randburg, Johannesburg

Scorpion ID - Randburg, Johannesburg

Postby NixVN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Ok, so we found this little guy hiding in one of our cooler bags. I've tried to look up on the net what type it is and I think it's the Uroplectes Triangulifer from what I've read on this website but I just want to make sure. It's quite small, about 1.5cm body and quite a dark brown colour (though it looks lighter in the pictures).

I decided to keep the little guy. I have a tarantula as well so the food source is there (crickets).

He doesn't seem to be eating though. I've read they can go a week or 2 without eating but, again, just wanted to make sure.

I'm not sure if he's old enough to deal with live crickets or if I need to kill the crickets? Any advice would be great, having saved him from my mother only to have him starve to death isn't exactly what I had in mind.

So these are my questions:
- Is this an adult?
- Do I need to pre-kill the crickets?
- Is this Uroplectes Triangulifer?
- Is it a good idea to keep it?

Thanks - in advance!

Nicky
Randburg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NixVN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Scorpion ID - Randburg, Johannesburg

Postby NixVN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:46 pm

More pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NixVN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 pm

It probably is, if you "collected" it there as opposed to having it hitchike in from other parts of the country.
They make fair captives, your little setup there looks adequate. Live food is better for them, crickets, flying ants, flies (without the wings if you have the time) and so on make good food items. Only feed one at a time, and maybe once or twice a week so as you don't overfeed it. Yes it is an adult. They are not lethal, but can give a bloody painful sting to an adult. The pain is intense and lasts about 30-45 min in my experience with their sharp end. It also appears like a gravid female, if it does produce offspring, then rather release it to raise them int he wild, you will not be able to provide the right sized food for them.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NixVN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Great, thanks for the reply. Hehe definitely not from other parts, we haven't been anywhere in years :P

If it does have babies I will release asap.

Thanks again!
NixVN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lexer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 pm

hy.

the scorpion you find is an Pseudolychas spec. maybe Pseudolychas pegleri :) but not Uroplectes triangulifer. and i think its have to be an adult female.
you dont have to kill the crickets, they do this ;-) feed once in a week and giving some water also once in a week, this is enough.

all the best, alex.
lexer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Scorpion keeping