Giant Centipedes

Giant Centipedes

Postby Ridolf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 pm

I have been trying to find someone that sells centipedes, but to no avail. Can anybody help me out? I would love to keep and even breed with these amazing creatures
Ridolf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Giant Centipedes

Postby shadowfoot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:07 pm

If you have not found any of these yet for sale then your best bet is to go catch some for yourself. There is no law against this if I remember correctly and they are abundant in most areas. You will just have to wait for it to get a bit warmer.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 pm

The local giants are about 10-15 cm. Most of the big ones are in the warmer parts like KZN.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:36 am

I don't think I've seen a centipede in CPT in many years, and the ones I did see weren't longer than about 2-3cm.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 am

I have seen a few down here in George that were quite big, 10cm-15cm, like it bit me said.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:38 am

We get relatively big ones here. Big blue ones. The biggest one that I've seen was roughly 12cm and took a finch out that was harrasing it.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 am

Or if you're really that adamant; get some moola, find a guy overseas who sells centipedes and find out if they ship internationally, go to Nature Conservation and apply for a International Import permit. I have no idea if they will issue one to you, but it doesn't hurt to try.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 am

Try Deviant exotics. If i'm not mistaken i've seem them sold there.

Cheers.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:11 pm

F1refly wrote:We get relatively big ones here. Big blue ones. The biggest one that I've seen was roughly 12cm and took a finch out that was harrasing it.

I also found blue and orange/red ones about 10cm near Nylstroom.
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ridolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I tried deviant exotics, they are keeping an eye out for me. I am in joburg, I have not seen any nor do I know where to go to catch some. Getting a licence sound like it might be a very expensive excercise
Ridolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 pm

lampie wrote:I also found blue and orange/red ones about 10cm near Nylstroom.

I find them quite often when I go up to Nylsvley (just outside Nylstroom).
I never took any exact measurements, but at least 15cm on one or two of them.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Kev.I'f been to Nylsvley twice.It is absolutely stunning there.It is great for my mom with all the birds around there.For my dad and me it's great because there is a lot of snakes.
I've caught-
1=puffadder
2=brown water snakes
1=red phase black headed centipede eater
And found 1 huge snake skin about 1.3m long and there was still some peaces missing.I think it would've been about 1.5m with the missing peaces.Think it might be cobra or mamba as it is to thin for python and the heads shape is definitely not mole snake.
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 pm

I’m also a big birder so :smt023
One of the most common snakes I see there are the mambas so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a mamba skin, I once found a 3.16 meter skin still wet from a fresh shed.
Also seen some big ones there, around the 3 meter mark, but I keep a healthy distance that’s one snake that scares me.
They also have a huge African rock there if you know were to look, it seems to have an area it likes although I did not see it when I was there last.
It’s defiantly my favourite spot, I’ve been going there for the for the last 15 years or so and seen a lot of cool stuff.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Artemis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:22 pm

I've caught plenty Red-Legged Centipedes (Cormocephalus Nitidus) 10 to 12 cm's on average in various locations around KZN, in particular Amanzimtoti, Bluff & Monteseel in Inchanga (near Camperdown)!! I've also got a Red-Headed Yellow Tiger Centipede (Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus) which recently laid abt 60 eggs in total, all have nymphed out btw & all healthy & happy!! The latter was caught up near Waterfall/Hillcrest area in KZN, absolutely stunning & by far the largest Pede I've seen, measuring in @ a whopping 16.5cm's I'm DESPERATELY seeking a Mirabilis Spp.!!! As a matter of fact, I'll settle 4any Pede with blue coloration!!!
Artemis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Artemis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Also, I went up2 Wartburg (KZN) over Christmas, caught a Cormocephalus female with a batch of roughly 30 to 40 eggs!! She's a very unusual color, more overall red on the body than the typical olive-green/brown color!! Aside 4rm this lucky find, I also turned over a brick & 2my astonishment there I discovered the most Beautiful Pede I've ever seen with my own 2 eyes!! It's a Cormocephalus Nitidus but a Blood Red color all over!!! Legs, head, body & tail appendages r all indistinguishable 4rm the next, all blood red except 4the antennae, which r the typical black/grey color!! Was most impressed with the latter & have high hopes 4breeding in the future!!
Artemis
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Other invertebrates