Cock a roaches!

Cock a roaches!

Postby Daddy-O » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 am

I'm looking to start a colony of feeder 'roaches for my small collection of Ts.

Do you cats use these for your Ts? Sounds like a pretty groovy idea, so if you can help with advice or suggestions (clean ones, baby!) hit that 'REPLY' button! :lol:
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:15 am

the madagascan hissing roaches are very easy to keep and breed.

just get 3 females to a male in a cake tin type container with lid as they can climb anything, give them mainly cereal but u can also give them chocolate, fruit, veggies(slightly on the overripe side) and occasionally they like a bit of fresh egg shell(with a tiny bit of egg white in).

substrate can be pine shavings, sphagnum moss, newspaper(unprinted) etc.

keep the humidity at around 45% temp around 28'c

Once they have had babies remove the adults and put in a new container (much easier than removin the babies)

they give live birth.

they also like toilet roll insides(the cardbord things) and similar as hiding places.

water for babies can be given by rincing out a used teabag and placing this in a shallow dish in the container, the adults can be given water via a slightly deeper dish as they do not drown as easily as the babies.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Sean » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 am

Oh you can tell the difference between males and females by the size of the bumps on there head, males have huge "bumps" on there head and females heads are smooth(ish)
Sean

Postby Daddy-O » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks Sean - Any others you can suggest? I've heard B. dubia are pretty cool as well without being as crunchy?

Any idea where I can buy some, man? Oh yeah, how many will I need to get a commune going?
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:50 pm

I dont know if you can get the spotted roaches here man, LOL i am no roach fanatic (i have however been thinking of getting some of the cave roaches in future)

if you want them not so crunchy look for the lighter coloured ones as they have just moulted and there carapaces are still soft, im pretty damm sure the babies are very soft as well(by accidently crushing a few whilst trying to pick them up)

The hissing roaches are sold by repti pets and a few other places, i got mine at the last SOS.

1 colony would be 3 females to 1 male (put 2 males incase of one dying if you only start 1 colony)

if you want to mass breed i also suggest you only keep 3 to 1 as its much easier to get 4 adult roaches out of a container than 45while you have 60+ babies all trying to escape at the same time)

also parasites deseases etc are easier to contain without loosing your entire stock/collection?

Ive been thinking of trying to keep a few of our locals for a few generations (to get rid of any nasties) before feeding to something but as yet have not tried.
Sean

Postby Daddy-O » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:04 pm

Cool advice, Man - You rock!

Tried Repti-pets, but they just stared blankly at the phone when I asked about Roaches. Dude...you could hear the confusion in their voices!

OK, now I'm confused - :lol:

Are you suggesting that I keep groups of one male and three females in separate containers? I was kinda thinking to have, like 40 bit (sorry) females in with 10 males. No good?
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby T » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:38 pm

iv seen roachers at reptipets before...
T

Postby Daddy-O » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Nah, I think that was the owner's chick, man..!
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:10 am

40 females to a male is not a problem till 1 female pops and has 60 babies then u got 100 roaches all trying 2 escape the container at the same time (they climb glass faster than a dealer on the run from the cops)

mabey search the forum for the words "pet shop" and call these shops respectively.

They are collonial animals so you need at least 3 to a container for breeding and yes thats what i am suggesting.
Sean

Postby Daddy-O » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 am

Sean:
40 females to a male is not a problem

Typo, man? I suggested 40 to 10 ratio! Image

Sean:
(they climb glass faster than a dealer on the run from the cops)

Sean:
mabey search the forum for the words "pet shop" and call these shops respectively.

Image Now that will never happen!

Sean:
They are collonial animals so you need at least 3 to a container for breeding and yes thats what i am suggesting.

Here's where we are not communicating accurately man, - my fault, I'm sure. What I meant to ask is this: Do you advocate keeping the groups of three females and one male separate from the other groups of three and one? My idea was to just put all 40 or so into one tub.

Hope that's clear.
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:22 pm

LOL sorry man, I blame it all on my parents and the 70's

yea i suggest rather keeping 3 fems to a male in seperate containers, these dont need to be very big, around 15cmx15cmx10cm would be fine just remove the adults when the babies are born and put them into a fresh container of similar size.

the adults will only eat the young if they starving.

you can also make 1 big communal cage for all the babies if you prefer.
Sean

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Hey Sean dud, you spent too much town at the roach motel. ;) :lol:
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby Sean » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 pm

Hey snakes inc, dude @ least if they bite me i dont need anti venom, LOL incase u havent noticed this planet is ruled by roaches, we are only their(sometimes unwilling) humble servants.
Sean

Postby Daddy-O » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Sean wrote:LOL sorry man, I blame it all on my parents and the 70's

yea i suggest rather keeping 3 fems to a male in seperate containers, these dont need to be very big, around 15cmx15cmx10cm would be fine just remove the adults when the babies are born and put them into a fresh container of similar size.

the adults will only eat the young if they starving.

you can also make 1 big communal cage for all the babies if you prefer.

I gotcha dude - thanks!

Hey, when I was young, a 'Roach' had a whole different meaning can you dig?! Heh, heh!!
Daddy-O
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:20 am

ROFL!
Sean

Return to Other invertebrates