Rain Spider Scarborough Cape Town.

Re: Rain Spider Scarborough Cape Town.

Postby ColinWa » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:34 am

Ah, that is rather sad. Thing about Rain spiders is they do not live long at all. +/- 4 years or so. And generally after their 2nd or 3rd time they breed they die. So I don't think it's actually a lack of food as they live for long periods of time without any food. The best I can suggest is to leave the sac for a while, the mommy is supposed to open the sac but i'm not sure as to what satge of devolpment the babies are. You can open the egg sac and might only find eggs, or eggs with legs which need incubation to molt into fully formed spiders. It's a 50/50, up to you though, you can take it outside and cut the sac open, maybe there are little ones in there, maybe it's a dud. Can't really say untill you open and find out. I'm not sure, but depending on the conditions the egg sac was kept in, Humidity, temp etc etc, generally after a month or month and a half there should be small spiders in the sac.

Well let me know what happens if you do decide to cut it open, maybe some other members can give advice aswell, i'm no rain spider expert.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cecelle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 am

Today 22nd Oct. Babies hatched last night 21st Oct. That makes it roughly 6.5 weeks ( laid on 11th Sept) some are out and others are still inside the sack.
Quite amazed at the size of them. Quite large not teeny weeny .
Cecelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Congrats. Get some pictures before you release them please. Wait for them all to shed once or twice.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cecelle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Well at this stage they are crawling all over my bathroom ceiling. I will not disturb them just let them be.
Will try and get a pic, problem getting it onto this site - any help appreciated. Or if you give me email I can send them to you to put on for me.
Not sure how old the mommy was, I only met her about a year ago in my bedroom & bathroom.
Does this make me a spider grandmother ?
Cecelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joanne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi All,
We're currently having the pleasure of watching our rain spider's nest release all it's babies. I saw the nest in the garden attached to a clivia leaf a week or more ago, and wondered what spider it belonged to, and then the strong wind we had last week blew the nest off the leaf and it magically attached itself to our house wall. Lo and behold, on Sunday evening as my visitors were leaving, we saw that some of the little ones were on their way out, with mommy rain spider straddling the nest. It was absolutely fascinating, as well as a little chilling :D. I have a sort of love/hate relationship with the rain spiders.... they come into the house every now and then (haven't seen one in months), and I just leave them alone and let them find their own way out again. It's however a little difficult at times to put the bedroom light out, when there's one sitting on the wall.... but I've learnt to ignore the scary thoughts :0)
Have uploaded the pic we took on Sunday evening, as well as another one taken this morning. Was wondering if the little ones had moulted, as it looks like shedded skins attached to the bottom of the nest, and so I searched the internet and landed up at this post.
Joanne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joanne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:30 am

It's always interesting to see, generally spiders come out of the nests after about the third moult. You shouldn't be scared of them, these are the creatures that keep the real nasties out of your house!

Thanks for sharing!
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 am

That is great to have another nature lover on the forum.

I think after the nest was blown down the female probably hauled it up on the wall to make sure it was not damaged further. She obviously knows you dont mean her any harm.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Field observations and identification