Native Cockroach

Native Cockroach

Postby Joh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi There,

I am interested in keeping and breeding some of our native cockroaches. I found these beauties under some rocks and flowerpots, but have no idea what species they are. Can anyone help me out? I am quite certain that both forms are the same species.

Thanks,
Joh

The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Native Cockroach

Postby Lillypod » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Joh, I see those quite often in my back yard as well, I want to collect some and maybe try and breed, would like it if someone could identify them.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 pm

If they are the same species, the one with wings is a male, the other a female. I think they might be Aptera fusca, but I'm not sure
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Firefly,

They are not Aptera fusca, I live in Richards Bay. I apologize for not mentioning my location, I should know better by now.

I have had them identified by someone who has much experience with Blattodeans. They are a species of Pycnoscelus :D .

Thanks for the assistance, though.

JV

Lillypod,

This species is not in the hobby yet. If you would like to keep it, you will have to do it by trial and error, and find things out as you go along.

I would suggest a sand substrate(sterilized), covered with a sturdy layer of leaf litter; Misting the tank daily; and incorporating moistened dog food pellets into their diet.

JV
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Field observations and identification