Spider and other bug ID please

Spider and other bug ID please

Postby Lachdanan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi All,,

A friend send me this pic of a spider that appears to be lunch to some other insect. The picture was taken at Boulders Beach, Simons Town

Could someone please identify both the spider and the bug?

Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Spider and other bug ID please

Postby Francois » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't know the ID, but as far as I know it's one of those wasps that paralize the spider and then lays its eggs inside it. When the larvae hatches the spider is still alive and fresh for them to eat, but it can't move. The spider is then eaten alive. It's quite gross, I know. :smt107 As for the spider I think it's a rain spider, but wait for someone more knowledgeable about insects and spiders to answer.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jandre69 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:03 am

Jip it looks like a common rain spider. And yes its a spider hunting wasp in the family pompilidae. Francois has it correct they lay an egg inside the paralized spider . . . and usually burry it in a hole or something untill the little wasp larvae begins to feast on fresh spider.
Jandre69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

The spider looks to be one of the baboon spiders although i am not sure as to which species.
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Definitely a rain spider there.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zane02 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Agreed. 100% Palystes sp.
Zane02
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Jandre69 has it in one... Pompilidae wasp and Palystes rain spider... I have seen this twice before, the first time I stumbled upon the wasp busy digging a hole with the paralyzed spider lying next too it, kept stopping its work to check that the spider was still there :) The second time I almost caused a car accident... My self and some colleagues were on a field trip and I saw a wasp dragging a BIG spider across the road... I yelled because I thought we were going to run it over! scared the driver out of her skin :) but she stopped for me so we could look (gotta love good friends who tolerate our obsessions) he was a feisty wasp! and person that came too close got charged! you could just hear the voice over: "you shant have it! tricksy humans! my spider! my precioussssssssss"
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Field observations and identification