My Common Retics

My Common Retics

Postby GeneticMorphs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:48 pm

Ive had these a little while now and they are really cool to keep, bearing in mind the enclosures you need for them, etc, etc....
The female named Madam, is 11ft and weighs 29 kilo's.(3yrs old)

The male, named Magic, is 9ft long and also 3 yrs old... he is a bit nippy.

Enjoy
GENETICMORPHS.COM
1.1.0 X Reticulated Pythons, 1.1.0 X Burmese Pythons, 2.3.0 X Common BCI, 1.1.0 X Suriname Red Tailed Boas(BCC),
1.0.0 X African Rock Python, 0.1.0 X Yellow ratXcorn, 2.3.0 X African House snakes, 1.2.0 X Blood Python (Brongersmai), 1.0.0 X Ball Python.
GeneticMorphs
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Common Retics

Postby Mitton » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Welcome to the site, nice snakes you have.
I'm sure you will enjoy it here.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby drummer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Welcome. post some pics of your BCC i am interested. Not many "real" ones in SA.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:39 pm

Welcome to the site man!
Awesome snakes!!! I love retics and those sure are some stunners!!!
Nica having another BIIIG snake fan on here!
Keep the pics coming!
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:14 am

Glad you have joined us! I am another retic lover on this forum. I have five - a pair of tiger retics and three Bali yellow heads. Your snakes are awesome. What do you feed them - rabbits? In your experience are they very aggressive/defensive or are they calm? Your female sounds as though she is a bit calmer than the male. Are you intending to breed them?
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GeneticMorphs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 am

Hi there and thanks for all the nice comments...
The female seems nicer than the male, but TBH i have not had the time to handle her yet.... I have been so busy building my snake room and moving to our new house....
I feed them on Extra large rats every week, as i breed my own and have a constant supply of them. When i get the chance i treat them to a nice rabbit, or when there are any available, which is about 2 times a year in my area, i treat my very big snakes with a piglet. But 99% of the time they are fed on rats.

I dont think they are very aggresive, but they do like to establish trust with their handler. The male now trusts me a little and i dont need a hook to remove him from his viv anymore, i just touch his tail and he knows he is comming out. The female on the other hand, i use a hook to remove her, but i still hold the head, until i have had some time to spend with her... Its also about geting someone around when i do handle her, which is always a pain with a new big snake.

She doesnt hiss anymore when i enter the snake room, but if anyone else is with me or goes in, then she is in one fowl mood and lets you know she is there... Before she would stay in her corner, but now when i go in to the snake room, she comes out to explore, but if anyone else is with me, she retreats back to her corner and makes noise....

I do intend to breed them, but maybe not this year... still to much on my plate tbh.... I think breeding for this year is totally a no go , ill consentrate on breeding big time with all my snakes next year... which also is a nice thing for the snakes as it gives them the year off to gain some nice weight and for me to be able to handle them more...
GENETICMORPHS.COM
1.1.0 X Reticulated Pythons, 1.1.0 X Burmese Pythons, 2.3.0 X Common BCI, 1.1.0 X Suriname Red Tailed Boas(BCC),
1.0.0 X African Rock Python, 0.1.0 X Yellow ratXcorn, 2.3.0 X African House snakes, 1.2.0 X Blood Python (Brongersmai), 1.0.0 X Ball Python.
GeneticMorphs
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)