Dwarf Retics

Dwarf Retics

Postby Scar69 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I have gone through some off the post under the retic section, but no answer's
Could some off you guys let me know :
How much would a dwarf or super dwarf retic cost?
What is the Length that these guys grow to ?
Are they readily available her in SA ?

Thanks,
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Dwarf Retics

Postby sildargod » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:26 pm

The only person I've seen with them is Kenneth at Repzotix, his were for sale for 8k (if I remember correctly?). They grow to 3.5m from what I understand. Please correct me where I am wrong more experienced members!
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi guys.

I have heard of a couple floating around, but nothing def.

Dwarf retics can be somewhat of a misnomer as these are Island variants and grow to diff sizes as per each var. They can also get quite big with some 12ft (4m ) individuals being reported, this was a jampea if I am not mistaken. That is not really a dwarf unless you are a really hardcore giant snake fan...

Granted 4m is very much the exception and as far as I have heard large jampea females generally top out at around 10ft (that is still pretty big), with other variants like Kyundi and Honey island retics being smaller.

The other problem is that few guys in SA will be able to confirm the variant or even be able to prove that it is actually a dwarf as hatchlings can look very similar to normals. Usual tell-tale signs are silver "lightning" marks in the eyes, smaller in size and a very high strung/flighty disposition. dwarf retics are apparently even more crazy about food than normals and are usually a hand full to handle.

Super Dwarfs are Tiny with the largest females reportedly topping out at 5-6ft with males smaller (I have seen pics of 3ft 5 year olds). they are expensive and I would be very surprized if they are in SA (beware of scams).

If you are seroisly considering getting a dwarf/super dwarf I would look at importing one from the US via LARGE and reputable breeder.

Cheers
D
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:16 pm

There are dwarfs and a super dwarf or two floating around.
They are however not regularly bred here yet hence they are still pricey. Dwarfs are about 2m - 3m as adults, but as Dan said beware where you buy from. Insist on seeing the adults before you buy.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info Burm, i would really need to be sure before i can purchase..
@ Reps, I would love a super Tiger, Maybe i need to Speak to my Minister off Finance, try some Imports,
Bob Clark ?
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:15 pm

If you are importing then be aware that if it is not a dwarf then after 4 years you cannot really return it.

Baby dwarfs are pretty easy to spot. They are smaller than normal retics although when they are a few months old then telling them apart is difficult.

Dwarf morphs have not hit our shores yet. Some morphs may be mated with dwarfs but the babies will just be a bit smaller and not really small like a dwarf or super dwarf. Dwarf morphs are about 5 times the price of normal sized morphs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby wickedexotix » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm

The pair I have are not bigger that 3.3m each and eat like pigs weekly and are pushing 5 years old. I also have 18 month old retics that eat the same food weekly and are the same size. They were imported through Bjorn in Cape Town.

I would reckon the ones I have are Jampea's but dont be fooled by dwarf at 3 meters they are still a handful but much better than an adult normal retic.
My pair were caught in the act this season but no sign of her being gravid but I'm hoping next season will produce some eggs.

Kenneth
wickedexotix
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)