Python natalensis

Python natalensis

Postby Sfourie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm

I got a call to say that a snake had been found at a building site close by and that they needed assistance immediately.

They had managed to lure the snake into a bucket and put a piece of cardboard on top. Needless to say when the cardboard was lifted I was all smiles. This is the second python that I have seen in the region in two weeks. The other being a 2.5m beauty that was found 25m up street from where this one was found.

This python measured about 65cm and I was wondering whether it is possible to estimate the age of a snake, specifically a python, by its length and if it were possible what would the estimated age be for this one?

Regards

Stefan

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python natalensis

Postby froot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I'd say 2 years old.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Yeah if there was tons of food maybe 1 year but I would agree 2 years is more likely.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Nice save Stefan! Awesome looking little beggar. What was it's temperament like?
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks froot and Bushviper. Is the age estimate purely based on length?

You should be thanking the builders Mehelya. 3 Black men who were working on human rights day, I was very surprised that they chose not to kill the snake and I thanked them each for doing so. The temperament was awesome. Not a single strike. Struck the s-shaped posture once or twice at the start and during the release but nothing more. I am not a person who likes to keep animals in enclosures. There is nothing wrong with it, it’s just not for me but this snake challenged me on that idea a fair bit. Beautiful temperament, beautiful python.
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpents4life » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 pm

I've owned quite a few P. natalensis , so I disagree with 1 year for a 65cm with tons of food . I'd say 6 months max ! One of my contacts from Limpopo sent me 2-3 week old babies ( 4 males and 2 females ) that where caught and left to starve to death by an ignorant landscaper . So I took them in with the intention of getting them back up on their feet , and return to the wild , of course .
After 5 months with 1 appropriate sized rodent every week , each , they were hitting the 50-75cm range .
Serpents4life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:41 pm

To be honest this is all guess work. Serpents this animal is wild he does not get food served every week. In wild snakes grow allot slower than in captivity where we care for and nurture them. I would also say this oke is over a year.

Sfourie: Our guess work is just that, it comes with experience of keeping and studying them and then you can guess. With a small one like this its easy when he is over 2m it becomes very difficult and he could then be a 5year old snake that had food available often enough or it could be a 3 year old that had way to much food, or it could be a starving 9year old.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpents4life » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Snake kid . Good point , but with plenty of food ? Still disagree with 1-2 years .
Serpents4life
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)