Living Gems Breeding Update (June 2015)

Living Gems Breeding Update (June 2015)

Postby Snakesitter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 pm

It’s time for the monthly update on Living Gems’ 2015 breeding season. As you may recall, we have eight breeding pairs this year.

Ramses & Pearl, our hypo to het hypo pairing, finally realized it was breeding season. I had guessed in my last writeup that “maybe [Ramses was] just working up his nerves,” and this proved to be spot on: April saw two sperm plugs, May one more followed by courting and a tail wrap, and June two multi-day sessions in the water bowl compete with additional wraps (I had to evict them the last time to clean the water bowl…a whopping four sperm plugs). They are right back in the water as of this writing, with two more tail wraps this round. This pairing is looking good. Pearl’s last shed was on May 31. I would rate their progress as three out of five so far.

Kilimanjaro and Sodalite, our deep red pairing, have not done much since the last writeup in March (which reported a possible tail wrap, and remnants of a single plug). April saw another plug and shared time in the water bowl, but nothing has happened since. Sodalite moved to the heat in the middle of the month, abandoned it to shed on the 23rd, went back on the heat for a few more days afterward, and as of this writing is again off it (though on the warm end of her hide). I would rate their progress as two out of five so far.

DuVall and Spessartine, one of our two high orange pairings, have continued to show progress since the last writeup in April (which reported extensive courting and a tail wrap). May saw another three plugs and more courting. June saw a single plug, extensive courting, and a tail wrap. Spessartine shed on June 24, and was courted a bit more after that. I would rate their progress as three out of five so far.

Prometheus and Malachite, our high red pairing, have been very quiet since the last writeup in April (which reported extensive courting and a wrap back in February, with minor courting afterward). Since then, I found a single additional plug in June. Prometheus has also been eager to squirm out of that enclosure and into a neighboring female’s, so I suspect they may be done for the year. Malachite’s last shed was on April 1, she was holed up in her hide on the warm side for several weeks (most recently with Prometheus, though no breeding was observed). She is still eating, though. I would rate their progress as three-leaning-four out of five so far.

Scarface and Almandine, our orange-red pairing, are done and baking. Since our last writeup in May, which reported several wraps up through March, there has been no further activity. Almandine last shed on April 16, has spent an entire month curled up on the heat underneath the newspaper, and took her last meal at the start of June only reluctantly. I would rate their progress as four out of five so far, and anticipate this will be our first litter of the year (unless Malachite surprises me).

Caesarion and Onyx, our second high orange pairing, also finally got around to business this month. Our last writeup in May reported massive amounts of plugs, but only one attempt at a wrap. Since then, I have witnessed a plug, active courting, and a confirmed wrap. Onyx shed on the 24th, and Caesarion immediately upped his interest level. The next day saw more courting, followed by a shared water bowl, another plug, and another possible wrap. They finally exited their watery love nest this morning, leaving behind four more plugs…. I would rate their progress as three out of five so far.

Picasso and Tigers Eye, our high contrast pairing, continue to have a rather quiet season. I still have not seen any obvious activity, so have to depend on Picasso’s two-for-two record with us as a proven expert. Tigers Eye last shed on June 7. I would rate their progress as one out of five so far. We’ve had litters as late as December, however, so there is always hope.

Franklin and Citrine, our golden orange pairing, also continue to have a rather quiet season. I still have not seen any obvious activity, so have to depend on Franklin’s two-for-two record with us as a proven expert. Citrine last shed on June 24. I would rate their progress as one out of five so far. We’ve had litters as late as December, however (and Franklin was the male), so there is always hope.

As always, thank you for reading!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Living Gems Breeding Update (June 2015)

Postby Jedi Biscuit » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Can't wait to see what these guys produce =) Keep up the awesome work =)
Jedi Biscuit
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Living Gems Breeding Update (June 2015)

Postby Snakesitter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Thank you, Jedi! Me either!!!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Rainbow boas (Epicrates sp.)