Bloods....

Re: Bloods....

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm

They might become so used to each other that they end up never breeding, no matter what you do...

Dont you just hate it when they get into that "friend" circle....
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aphrodites » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Quick question. Does this statement apply to all boids or specifically bloods? I have a male & female red tail boa and ultimately would not mind breeding with them one day does this mean that it is not a good idea for me to house them in the same enclosure? I find though that my snakes prefer to be housed as couples (well that is my carpet pythons - they get very restless if they are not together) Please shed some light on this subject
Aphrodites
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm

@ Burmbuddy:

I think all of us do. In reptile and human terms...

@ Aphrodites :

It's not a rule, just a proven statement...

Some snakes do, some don't...

It applies to all species, just not every snake.

Luck of the draw really...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GeneticMorphs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I house some of my snakes together and some of them seperate. Its just easier when it comes to feeding when they are seperate, also if one contracts a illness, its better when they are alone so the other doesnt get it. but the choice is totally up to the individual. My bloods are kept seperate as are most of my other snakes, but i have a pair of red tails that have been together since birth and have bred every year. Like what was mentioned earlier, Some snakes do and some dont.... Just make sure the enclosure is big enough for the male to find a corner when the female has her time for complaining and moaning...lol
Every male needs a safe place to escape to.

But my opinion is , if the enclosure is big enough, and you are able to manage them both, even though they are agressive, then go for it, trial and error i suppose... if it doesnt work then split them up....
GENETICMORPHS.COM
1.1.0 X Reticulated Pythons, 1.1.0 X Burmese Pythons, 2.3.0 X Common BCI, 1.1.0 X Suriname Red Tailed Boas(BCC),
1.0.0 X African Rock Python, 0.1.0 X Yellow ratXcorn, 2.3.0 X African House snakes, 1.2.0 X Blood Python (Brongersmai), 1.0.0 X Ball Python.
GeneticMorphs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 am

I am keeping 7 bloods at this time. 5 Malaysians and 2 Sumatrans of which most are tame. I had one the other day with some skin left on his head and eye caps. He allowed me to remove it and peal the eye caps away. Others are skittish and defend themselves but once off the ground they are ok. When it comes to placing back in the cage I have one that likes to nip. They all have their own personalities.

I would think they should be fine together as long as the female is old enough and large enough to breed. As most have said there are issues with disease and feeding maybe.

All the care given is good and I might just add exercise. Bloods don't defecate all that often and periodically soaking them helps them poop and is great for skin condition. Adults can go as long as 2-3 months without defecating so don't panic.

Also a warning of caution, bloods are not slow strikers and they are extremely powerful. You say their adults and they are aggressive, so I would take extreme care. They can strike so hard their bodies move forward and they have the weight to anchor the power.

I must say bloods are awesome snakes to keep. All the best with your new editions.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boidae » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 am

Hi all

Thanks so much for the advice and replies. Well i am going to get them Monday night and apparently, in the whole UAE (United Arab Emirates), this is the only two blood pythons. So i really want to try and breed them. I spoke to their current owner. She says that they were both imported from a very reputable breeder in the US (cant remember the name). They are captive bred bloods and between two and 3 years old. The female is apparently a bit smaller than the male but very red.

She says that she had them since they were babies, but from the moment you pick them up, you have a 5 second window to which you need to put them down, or they zap you. And apparently they throw their whole body into a bite..... dont think its worse that a 3.4 m wild caught rock python..:)

So im very excited. Just really difficult getting equipment for reptiles here in Dubai. So now, i need all the advice i can get on breeding bloods. From the start up tot he finish, which months they breed, feeding etc.

Thanks guys ( will post pics as soon as i get the snakes)
“Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent and the serpent didn't have a leg to stand on”
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:48 am

Talk about hitting the jackpot, thats a lot of free snakes man I wish somoeone would throw some free snakes my way :D and all of these bloods are just stunning never knew they were this beautiful
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:57 am

To breed Bloods, is very time specific :

Feed them as normal until the start of winter ( not that you have a real winter in the Emirates... ) and keep them at normal temps (80-84) while this last meal digested. Do not feed them after the start of your attempt... I know it seems a bit cruel to let them go without food for such a long time, but if their weight is good, you don't have to worry as they have a lot of reserves to carry them through.

Make sure the female is at the correct size ( 1.5m + ) and weight ( +/- 15kg's ) before attempting this because if she is too thin, the expected number of hatchlings will be affected badly. The male can be 1.2m + and at least 12 kg's...

At the start of the first winter month, put the female in the male's cage if you decided to keep them seperate and start dropping the temps every few days until the end of the month with the average temperature at about 76 degrees. Keep them together for about 3 months.

Keep the average cage temp at an average of 72 - 76 for the last two months of keeping them together. Spray the cage periodically every 2 - 3 days lightly, to encourage "activity".

At the start of spring, bring the temps back up to normal in a 2 week time period and keep the pair together.

A week or so into Spring start feeding them again. Keep them together for the rest of the first month of Spring

6-30 days after the last copulation the female should ovulate (mid-body swelling that lasts for 24 hours).

20 days after ovulation she should shed and shouldn't be fed after shedding.

24-38 days after shedding she should lay about 10-18 eggs. ( could be less if it's the first clutch )

The eggs should be incubated at 88-90 degrees for 58-68 days...

All the best...

By the way, when does winter start in the UAE ?
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Asian pythons