Bloods....

Bloods....

Postby Boidae » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 am

Hi

I recently striked it very lucky as a local lady here in Dubai, contacted me as she has 25 boas/pythons that she wants to give free to a good home. They just became too much for her to handle. The bad news though, i stay in an apartment so space is limited and she hasnt been able to handle them often so most of them tend to be aggresive.

I volunteered to take one of the ball pythons as i already have a baby ball, but ended up taking all 3 her ball pythons :lol: . They are gorgeous and in really good condition. Seeing as balls are naturally good tempered, they are ok, but very nervous around people stil. But as my passion lies with snakes, i have volunteered to also take her two Blood pythons. I cant take any burms and boas due to the size that the snakes get. But my question is, I have never had Blood pythons. I heard that they don't have the best of temperaments, and according to her, they are very aggresive. However, i have never had one and they are really gorgeous snakes.

Does anyone here own one or have experience with them? How are their temperaments and do they get use to handling if you continously do so? They are all adults size and its a male and female.

Any info would be appreciated.

:smt006
“Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent and the serpent didn't have a leg to stand on”
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bloods....

Postby insaniac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:08 am

Hi Boidae,

Bloods are not a great beginner python...( not saying that you don't have experience )

I certainly feel that the Blood pythons are a hearty, predictable, easy to handle snake, but you have to maintain perspective

The Blood pythons are generally shy and defensive at first but calm dow nicely when handled frequently.

They can be easily stressed, and often react to that stress by not eating, having bad sheds, and just generally not thriving. This is why they are not really a beginner snake, but rather for an intermediate keeper that has a couple of solid "snake years" under his/her belt.

You have to be able to read and react with this animal. Bloods are not corns, or Burms, where a strong personality, feeding response, and heartiness will help bail you out of ignorant mistakes. With a Burmese python, you can fudge the temperatures a bit, you can go without a hide spot, and offering rats OR mice will often get you a strong instinctive feeding strike. You can have less than ideal conditions with your Burm, and the animal will tolerate it for quite some time before really making you pay the price. You cannot make these same simple mistakes with Bloods.

Whenever their surroundings change for the worse they wil start stressing...

If your temperatures are not within an ideal range, or if you fail to offer such a basic need as a proper hidespot, your Blood can turn a negative corner very quickly. An experienced keeper should be able to "read" their animal and interpret what is being offered, and correct the situation quickly. An experienced keeper knows how important cage temperatures and hot spots can be, and they have detailed knowledge of the temperature layout of each given cage. An experienced keeper knows how to quickly and properly acclimate a newly received python, a period that is very important when working with a brand new baby Blood python.

The most common stress that I hear about from new Blood python owners is that very acclimation period... (this period is stressful for both the snake, and the new owner).

When receiving a new animal, it is best to have a cage setup and ready, with the proper temps, hidespots and water bowl all prepared. You cannot expect your new Blood python to simply "settle in" when you haven't even balanced out your heat pad, overhead light, and substrate, or you haven't bothered to pick up a new water bowl and hidespot yet. Do your homework and be prepared, your new Blood python is going to have no patience for your mistakes.But it will be one of your best additions to your collection if your willing to put in the time...

Enjoy !

P.S. If that is a picture of you in your avatar, your other half ( ? ) and your snakes must be very happy !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 am

Thought this might help...

Step1 :
Watch the temperature. The temperature should be in the lower 80s. Provide a basking spot in the cage that is between 85 and 90 degrees. This can be accomplished using heating pads that go under the cage or using basking bulbs. Use a digital thermometer to ensure adequate temperature. It is not okay to guess...

Step2:
Control the humidity. The proper humidity for the care of a blood python is between 50 and 60 %. Misting the cage every few days or placing a bowl of moist moss in the cage will help to maintain proper humidity levels.

Step3:
Provide a hiding spot for the snake. Bloods love dark, tight spots to hide. Low, close or even under the ground hiding spots work very well.

Step4:
Provide fresh, clean water at all times. It is not unusual to find a blood python soaking in the water dish as well as drinking from it.

Step5:
Feed your python once a week. It will need to eat at least four times before shedding. It is best to feed the snake dead rodents, since live animals can hurt or kill a blood python because of it's lazy ass nature...

Check this out, this might also give you an idea on how to HANDLE your newly acquired bloods:

www.ehow.com/video_2349618_handling-blood-pythons.html
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boidae » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:16 am

Hi Insaniac

Thank you very much for your help. This will definitely help. I have had snakes as part of life for 18 years (im 23 now). I previously only had indigenous snakes when i stayed in Botswana. I also studied herpetology and veterinary. Still, that gives book knowledge and not experience. I have however had some difficult snakes but i am really happy for the info you gave me as i dont know exactly what Bloods require cage wise. We will be building a cage this weekend, therefore i havent taken the snakes yet. I havent seen them either as i told the lady to just take pics, i dont want to stress them with transport if im not ready to take them.

I will make sure my cage is 100% before taking them, and will read up as much as i can, and obviously i can always ask you if i need some help :-)

PS:... yes that is me in the pics.
“Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent and the serpent didn't have a leg to stand on”
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 am

Boidae I am missing the pics you speak of. Do you mean your avatar?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boidae » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 am

Hi Bushviper

Yes that is the pic. I did it for a friend's website (as you would see on the printing on it). but the snake is mine
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 am

The pic is rather small. Do you have more like that. Possibly we could a calendar "Girls of Sareptiles"
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boidae » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am

HAHA - Not a bad idea at all. I dont have any with the snake... i have some other pics too... but no snake with it

I can contact my friend and ask him to forward the pics to me, but yes. That sounds like a great idea.
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am

My pleasure...

Remeber, Cage wise, you need at least a cage that is as long as the snake is so it can stretch out if need be...

It doesn't have to be very high coz they stay on the ground... maybe 40 - 50 cm... Never seen one even attempt to climb something... Lazy asses !

60 - 80 cm wide...

I'm sure with your experience you'll have them eating out of the palm of your hand in no time...

All I can say is, Avatar = Wow !

@ B.V. : Not a bad idea...

@ Boidae : My vote is yours...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:49 am

Possibly we could a calendar "Girls of Sareptiles"

Great idea!

Hi Boidae,

Blood pythons are some of the most beautiful snakes to keep. Yes they do tend to have a "attitude" problem, but so does some poodles i know. They do evetually settle down but i find that mine most of the time just wants to be left alone!!! (Still some issues to work on) lol

I keep a red blood python. (Brongersmai) although some USA forums say that it looks more like a Borneo Blood... I have found that these snakes have a funny metabolism, as the loose weight very fast. So a strict feeding schedule is a must, but also try and avoid obesity!

I keep my 2 year old male in a bigish enclosure, with a big water bowl for added humidity. I also spray him down every now and then, and i can see that this is actually appreciated. I also have a big flat hide for him made from a turned over waterbowl, on the warm side of the cage, but i alos make balls fom newspaper and Leave them strewn in the cage. This is a trick a read of from VPI Reptiles (www.vpi.com). It gives the snake a sence of security as if its gowing through "rubble".

Heres a helpfull link: http://www.vpi.com/publications/blood_p ... n_and_care

Pics taken juat after cage cleaning! (Excuse the bad pics and the untidy cabling)

Because of our dry winter, my blood had a couple of shedding problems. Nothing an occational soak in a tub couldnt fix.

Some pics of my blood. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13400

Please dont be shy to show off yours!!!!!!

Regards,

Quintin
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:54 am

Some pics of my blood. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13400

Sorry, I cocked that one up!!!!!

Heres the correct link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12664

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GeneticMorphs » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:33 am

I have 3 bloods and the male is completely tame but both the females are agro.
I keep them in Tubs as its easier to maintain Humidity. Also, my Bloods wont eats unless their tubs are like rainforests in there. My tubs are mostly at about 90% humidity. But its the only way they eat. All are on defrost rodents and as much as i handle the females they wont calm down, they sit there and then all of a sudden ZZZZAPPP, i get bit..... here is a pic to show how i keep them...

My male about 3 months ago...

And some pics of their set ups.

Hope this helps?
I know that from speaking to Tom Bellamy, the guy who i get my bloods from, it is best to keep them in high humidity until they are at least a year old, as the young in the wild spend most of their time under leaves in the damp undergrowth. this also stops you from ever having a bad shed... i know i have not had one ever. with these snakes. every one is different and entitled to their own oppinion, as different things work for different people, but im just letting you know what works for me and also one of the biggest blood morph breeders in the UK.

good luck.
GENETICMORPHS.COM
1.1.0 X Reticulated Pythons, 1.1.0 X Burmese Pythons, 2.3.0 X Common BCI, 1.1.0 X Suriname Red Tailed Boas(BCC),
1.0.0 X African Rock Python, 0.1.0 X Yellow ratXcorn, 2.3.0 X African House snakes, 1.2.0 X Blood Python (Brongersmai), 1.0.0 X Ball Python.
GeneticMorphs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boidae » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. They are gorgeous snakes. These ones as i understand, is also Brongersmai. Your help is very very appreciated.

Also, these snakes have since they were purchased, never ever shared an enclosure.
Would it be ok to put them together ? A male and female?
Boidae
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi.
Would prob be better if you could keep them apart.
I don’t know if you guys can get it over there but aspen wood mulch is apparently very good for these guys as they do like to burrow a bit. Seeing as you are in the desert though, prob not….
Also they are basically swamp snakes, so keep the humidity up.
Cheers
DAN

PS- Bloods are great snakes, think of them of as the lovable little drunk cranky uncles of the python world
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:41 pm

@ Dan :

Quite a good description man... Never thought of them that way...

@ Boidae :

I second what Dan said...

However, there won't really be a problem if you put them together, the problem just comes in when you want to breed them one day... They might become so used to each other that they end up never breeding, no matter what you do...

Depends on what you want out of them in the future...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Asian pythons