CB Python anchietae still so expensive in europe..

CB Python anchietae still so expensive in europe..

Postby ryanvinnroyal » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 am

ok so this guy here is selling angolans for about R30k a piece do you think thats worth it being CBs
here is a link to his site..its in german so go down the list to Abzugeben/suche have a look at the pics
http://www.boapython.ch/frameset.htm
ryanvinnroyal
SA Reptiles Member

Re: CB Python anchietae still so expensive in europe..

Postby rooikat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:50 pm

I think it is way to expensive ,,you might be better off obtaining one from the U.K. ,there people who are breeding them here and also traders who will be able to export them for a lot less ...
Give me Nature over Human race anytime ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ryanvinnroyal » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:06 pm

rooikat wrote:I think it is way to expensive ,,you might be better off obtaining one from the U.K. ,there people who are breeding them here and also traders who will be able to export them for a lot less ...

what are they going for in the uk.
ryanvinnroyal
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I know a guy in Germany that did not bother to breed his P. ancheitae for two years now because he says he cannot sell them for a decent price. I have seen them go for as low as $1500 in the US and with the economy the way it is now I suspect that come August or September they will be plentiful at that price.

I know slangman on this forum has bought some in Europe and he should be able to tell you where to get some in the UK as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Last time I check $1500 was still a cr@p load of money. I can't believe that someone will consider it not worth their while financially to breed P.ancheitae. They are one of the rarest pythons in the world, there will always be a market. I would part with most of my collection just to have a shot at working with this species. There are but a handful in captivity in SA. If your German friend does not want to breed with them, he's welcome to send them back home coz I would give anything to have a shot at it!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ryanvinnroyal » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:20 pm

i think i will give it a year or 2 and see if the price comes down as i want the species, and not in for the race to breed.....
anybody on this forum from SA working with these animals....
ryanvinnroyal
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Ryan as far as I know there were only two people locally who had P. ancheitae and the one killed his and the other seems to have gone very quiet. The most ironic thing is they were all smuggled in from Europe!

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rooikat » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:59 am

ryanvinnroyal wrote:
rooikat wrote:I think it is way to expensive ,,you might be better off obtaining one from the U.K. ,there people who are breeding them here and also traders who will be able to export them for a lot less ...

what are they going for in the uk.

They are going for between £900 - £1,100 ... depending on where and who the breeder is .. i know 2 guys at present who have got some and are also breeding ..
Give me Nature over Human race anytime ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:37 pm

When an indigenous snake has to be smuggled in from Europe, you know something is wrong. It's a sad state of affairs. I am however of the opinion that there are a few being kept by local breeders on the hush. I don't blame them either.

Why doesn't your German friend breed them & send all the babies back home legally. I'm sure a lot of people would jump at the opportunity to import these. I think It's something Con should think about to be honest.

If I'm not mistaken, this Pair belongs to Slangman (UK). He should be very, very, very proud...

Leaves me in awe every time I look at them...

DK
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:45 pm

It so unfair that people from another continent from us have them but there are none locally.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby slangman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:01 pm

the problem is that many breeders have their animals from wc populations and they come with all the comon problems like bad stomach bacteria and the likes . Many regurge often and dont attain a decent weight to be able o breed . It is common knowledge who deals in this perticular lineage and they are avoided like the plague . I see a lot of the american animals for sale at overly cheap prices and i have yet to meet anyone who dears touch them . If they are so cheap ........get thinking why . I paid 4000 euro for my pair and that was after a 2 yr waiting list was completed ! i saw a single male at hamm this year and he was a yr old priced at 2450 if memory serves correct . So still pricey but very beautiful animals . My adults are just brilliant and i am hoping for eggs this year and the female is swelling up nicley . I tried to weigh her today infact but she wouldnt co-operate with me so didnt get an accurate figure . I would recon comfortably over 5 kgs . I have a waiting list for my babies should i get eggs and hatchling and it stretches over 2 seasons so i dont see why people dont breed them if they have adults . I have heard the whole 'i chose not to breed them' story a lot and it basically relates in my opinion to ' i tried and they didnt breed so i will say i didnt try ' . even if you get a grand for a baby , it would still be well worth your while to sell the dozen or so babies for that price and have a nice bank ballance rather than simply not breed them cos you cant get a massive amount for them . For me ......10 grand or nothing ????? i know which one i would opt for .

I think they cost so much cos they are rare in the trade and if you are concerned about the price of angolan pythons , try get hold of an albino carpet !!!!! i am curently trying to head down that path and it aint so straight forward !

cheers

Nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Nik I have heard the albino carpets cost about 16000 British pounds a pair. If you look how quickly the prices came down on Jaguar carpets I reckon within 10 years the albino carpets will be a few hundred pounds. The people who spent 22 000 pounds last season will be rather upset when their investment snakes drop so radically in value.

I have tried convincing this german that selling them cheaply to SA would morally be the right thing to do but he has not fallen for that line yet. He does have the largest collection of rare pythons I have ever seen so I am sure he knows how to breed them and has bred them in the past. Some herpers are just wierd ...... probably all herpers are wierd.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby slangman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:01 pm

agreed mate . there certainly are many weird herpers out there . Any tips for angolan eggs . I was informed that they are very prone to moisture and should be incubated in a fashion similar to black head python eggs IE without allowing moisture to drip onto the eggs . I was considering using a plastic grill like i have seen in some chondro egg incubations where the eggs sit on the lighting grill in the tub just above the water but free of substrate . ANy thoughts . Possibly just try the same as the Royal eggs but with slightly drier vermiculite substrate .

cheers

Nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:05 pm

I would go the same way as what BrendanE does with his ball python eggs. They are suspended above the perlite mixture with only a tiny bit touching the eggs. The lid is sloped so that no condensation drips on the eggs. That should work for the ancheitae eggs although I have also seen them just dropped into a vermiculite and moss mixture and they hatched so I am really not sure if the substrate is so critical but rather play it safe.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby StephanN » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Bushviper
would you mind telling me the german breeders name , by male if you dont want to post it here
StephanN
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to African pythons & boas