Kenyan sand boa: Anery A vs Anery B ???

Kenyan sand boa: Anery A vs Anery B ???

Postby constrictor, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:51 am

Hi All,

I have a discussion post under the genetics blog: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=23340

I recently acquired an anery male, 100% het albino kenyan sand boa for breeding purposes. As soon as I saw him, I noticed that he was not the normal black anery colour. I have taken some pics as can be seen below, the lighter more brown coloured one is the new male.
Here are some pics :)

DSC_0318-Optimized.JPG

DSC_0320-Optimized.JPG

On the side . . . .. . . . . .

Another project on the side is the Striped Kenyan sand boa, here are some updated pics, i will refine the stripe for one more year, then try get this into the anery and albino gene, should be interesting!

DSC_0321-Optimized.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little”
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Kenyan sand boa: Anery A vs Anery B ???

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Very nice comparison shots!

I have never heard of Anery A and Anery B in KSB, but the two different types of anerythrism do occur in many other species of snakes, so you might have something there.

The best way to proove or disproove it, is to breed the oneanery to the other and to see what offspring is produced.

I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but imagine Blizzard KSB!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby constrictor, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Hey Westley,

KSB are still a "new" breed and not as many morphs as corns and balls, buy yes. . . I agree, with these variations we could get to blizzard and who knows where!

I have also never heard of Anery A and Anery B ksb, so thus the reason for the post!

I can't wait to see what the future breeding seasons hold for this male!

The only site that i can find that refer to the Hypo KSB is :

http://www.jasons-jungle.com/anerykenyanproject.html

right at the bottom of this page.

tx for yr comments!
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little”
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby constrictor, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:54 pm

I had a few questions:

Would you classify this as a Hypo/Charcoal/Anery B (I know they the same just diff terminology)
Assuming this is an Anery type B, would the offspring with the anery and albino gene have a tendency towards Ghost, vs snow?
If this is an Anery type B, if i bred it to an Anery type A, all the offspring would be normal?

tx,
marc
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Marc

Hypo is not the same as anery B/charcoal. In short, hypo means reduced black pigment whereas anery means little to no red/yellow/orange pigment.

I doubt that your animal above is a hypo, because hypos would be a lot more orange.

I think you have two possibilities:

1. You have a new type of anery (anery B)

2. You have a hypo anery (ghost)

Assuming you have a new strain of anery, you have no way of predicting what double homozygous (albino+anery) would look like. One can only hope for blizzards. You would definitely not get a ghost. As mentioned, ghost is the combination of the hypo and anery gene.

If they are two different types of anery, you would get normal babies from breeding the two together. If you have a ghost, you would get all anery babies het for hypo.

Sorry for the mouth-ful, but I hope my reply explains a bit.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby constrictor, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm

yes i get you!

tx
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby constrictor, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Where i got confused with the Hypo/anery B thing is where the following snake is referred to as a hypo Anery, because of the brown, not reduced white:

http://www.jasons-jungle.com/Pictures/K ... f09-01.jpg

http://www.jasons-jungle.com/Pictures/Kenyan%20Sand%20Boas/anf09-01.jpg
Edmund Burke
constrictor,
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mujician » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi there from the UK.

I have the same questions as you and its really doing my head in! I bought an anerythristic KSB from a well known shop (Crystal Palace Reptiles) the owner is a big Royal/Ball Python person and has not much interest in KSBs. So I bought this 'anery' which turned out also to be het albino! However it is not a striking black and white snake. More 'ghostly'! According to jason (www.jasonsjungle.com) this is a single mutation - he has bred this pale anery to a normal anery and produced only normal looking offspring. This indicates two different forms of anery. He calls the pale one 'hypo anery'. So JAson has two lines of anery. However I have stumbled upon a website that indicates the owner has a hypo and anery KSB, in effect a true ghost morph as in most other snakes. She has bred this to a het anery and produced normal and black and white snakes. This indicates now that that Hypo in KSBs is recessive.

I think a lot of breeding needs to be done to prove these morphs, and also people need to start to pool their information together. If you are on facebook - please go here - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/home.php?sk=group_118536414877112&ap=1 It is a group for sand boa enthusiasts.

Many thanks, Ben
Mujician
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African pythons & boas