First D-SLR

Please try include your camera settings with your photos where possible.

First D-SLR

Postby corn snake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:44 pm

I want to get myself my first D-SLR camera what do you recommend?

I want to use it to take pictures of animals, reptiles, amphibians, landscapes, People, and birds.

Also I want to know what lenses to get.

I don’t want to get the most entry level D-SLR or the cheapest one, I want to get something that I will be able to use for a long time even as I start taking more professional photos after a while.
corn snake
SA Reptiles Member

Re: First D-SLR

Postby Francois » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am

I have a Canon 450d and I love it! The newest version I think is the 600d. I haven't had any other D-SLR's so I'm probably not the best to ask.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 am

550 is a great option.

450 is old and out of Date.

The 550 Canon is great and can great deals with that camera now as it is been replaced by the 600D.

You will be able to pick up a Twin Lens deal kit with bag ect for around R6999.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby nbdreyer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:26 am

What is your budget for it?
nbdreyer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 am

I would say get a camera that fits your budget. Im a fan of Nikon, but i know canon will produce your required shots. Personal preference i guess. The nice part about Nikon is that if you look around, you can pic up some amazing kits and you get a R2500 voucher to go for half a days training to learn about your camera. Lenses are another story all together. Expect to pay 9k for a quality macro lense and another 10k for a twin flash unit. Wide angle lenses for landscapes will also set you back about another 5-8k. Its an awesome hobby and dont let those prices i mentioned deter you in anyway. Get your basic camera and learn how to use that correctly and just go have fun. ;)
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RobinGast » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:37 am

I really love Nikon cameras, I'm looking to get a L120 myself.
Yes I know its a fixed lens camera but it sure does take great macro shots.
All I say is I really prefer Nikon to Canon, but make sure you consult some experts and not just the sales oke.
RobinGast
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 am

My 2c...

One thing I wish I had known is that if you spend more on the camera body and get one with the focus motor built in, the AF lenses are a lot cheaper.

The entry level ones don't have the motor inside, so you have to buy AS-F lenses that have the motor built in, and they are a LOT more expensive, like 4 times the price.

Also, although I am a fan of Nikon because the "click" sounds better, the entry level Nikon doesn't have bracketing or IR remote support, which the Canon does. I really miss these features.

If I could reverse time I would probably opt for a higher level used camera as opposed to an entry level bundle (I got a D3100). I never even use the 55-200mm lens it came with, although I don't really shoot birds and stuff. The bundled 18-55 mm lens is very good though, closeups are amazing, took this one of a small tree frog with it:

And it does nice portraits too:

And don't stress about Nikon vs Canon, they are both the best you can buy.

Now go get a camera and start taking some pics :)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 am

Come to think about it. Go with something like the 1100D it's just over R3k.

Spending money on expensive DSLR camera's is silly because with your first camera you'll never actually truly benefit from it's features having a camera doesn't make you a photographer you just really need to put loads of time and effort into it.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a Nikon D90 really cool and I also think the click sounds better than a Canon :-)
Lenses are cr@p expensive :-(
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

"This question gets asked a lot:

I'm just starting getting into blah blah photography. What lens should I buy?

Here's the answer...

If you have to ask this question, buy the cheapest damn lens you can get.

What? I must be kidding, right?

Sorry, no.

Here's why...

This is really a question that only you can answer for yourself.

For somebody that's just getting their feet wet in this photography thing, if you don't know what lens gets you what, in all honesty, the replies you get from a bunch of strangers, each with their own agenda, is not going to help you at all.

You used to get a 'normal' 50mm lens when you bought a camera. Why that one? It's a base. A place to start. You have to take your cheap-ass lens and shoot lots of pictures with it. Look at those pictures. Study them. Analyze the situation when you shot them. Now ask yourself...

What do you feel is lacking?

This is the most important thing and is what will lead you to your own answer. It bears repeating...

What do you feel is lacking?

Were you not able to get close enough? Perhaps a longer telephoto lens is in order.

Were you not able to get far enough away? Perhaps a wider angle lens is in order.

Sick of moving back and forth to frame the shot? Perhaps a zoom lens is in order.

Want a shallower depth of field look? Perhaps a faster lens is in order.

Shots looking a little soft and you KNOW your technique is solid? Perhaps a better quality lens is in order.

These and many others are all questions that you have to answer for yourself. The answer only comes with experience and knowing the equipment you have and knowing where it is letting you down, or even if it is. How much longer, wider, faster? Sadly, this takes time and experience to figure out.

Spending big money on an expensive lens without knowing why is a waste of money. Sure you may look uber-cool with that big white 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens but do you know why you bought it?

If you bought it to look cool, that's OK by me. If you bought it because it's fast throughout the range, great. If you bought it because it has IS, super. If you bought it because you have more money than you know what to do with, bully for you. I honestly don't care why you bought it. What's more important is do you know why?

Don't believe me? It's true. Ask anyone who's been around in the photo business for a few years. Odds are pretty damn high they know what each lens in their bag will give them on a shot. They know how close they have to be for each lens. They know the scene each lens will give them. How do they know this? They know this because they spent the time learning their equipment.

There is no substitute for the time spent photographing.

Spend a little time, and you'll be able to answer most of your own questions.

Now, if you come in and say something like "I'm looking to get a longer reach in my shots. How do a 70-200, 100-400 or 300mm compare to each other?" we can begin to have a dialog. Why? You already know what you are looking for.

I know why I bought each lens I own and why certain lenses are on my list of things to acquire or investigate. That only came through experience.

As I thought about this some more I came up with an analogy that may be easier for some folks to understand.

Remember your first automobile? Did you get a cheap car to start with or did you buy an expensive one? WHY?

That's the key - why you bought that particular car and why you bought each subsequent car or what you are looking for in your next car.

Odds are pretty good that when you bought your first car you had already driven a few others and had ridden in many more so you could start to form your opinion of what you wanted in a car so that when the time came, you already knew what you were looking for. I doubt that you asked a random group of strangers "What car should I buy?"

This same thing applies in photography. If you don't have a lot of experience using an SLR camera with interchangable lenses, you probably don't have an idea of what you really want or need. You need to take a few lenses for a 'test drive.' Stop by your local camera shop and 'drive' a few.

I write this NOT because I don't feel like helping new folks out. Far from it. This is one issue where I can't help you at all. Nobody can. You have to help yourself."

So why not just go to a proper camera shop and tell them what you want to do. they will give you great advice and you can always upgrade as you get more experience.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby corn snake » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:34 am

Hi guys thanks for all the help I have decided on a canon 600d, I’m going to see if I can’t get it with a single lens. I also want to buy a camera back pack to store the camera in.
corn snake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Listen to Seaborne, a lot of good advice.
And Nikon shooters, show us some photos, we will decide if you are so good. :)
On a more serious note, there is very few cameras today that is bad. Some say the latest bridge cameras take better images than DSLR's. (must be the photographer though).

The more pics you take, the better you will become. Join a camera club and you will see a huge improvement is a short time.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby BushSnake » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Brilliant reply Seaborne!

I've worked out my response to the Nikon vs Canon argument, and I'm still waiting for someone to find a flaw in it: Get whatever your family or friends have, cause that will allow you to borrow other lenses when you can't afford your own!

(BTW - Canon 600D is brilliant! You definitely won't regret it!)
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:05 pm

I like this post of MrG. The camera looks like an affordable one and it has a good picture.
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=26657&p=214967&hilit=fujifilm#p214967
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby corn snake » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I’ll post some photos when I have the camera in January.

MrG, do you know of any camera clubs in Pretoria North, Sinoville or Montana areas?
corn snake
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Photography