Nature's Valley Frogs

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Nature's Valley Frogs

Postby boing » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Piston went on a field trip with some of the guys from Potch University's African Amphibian Conservation research group. They were in Nature's Valley and were mostly getting information which will help his PhD project move forward. They collected a few specimens and he was in the lab today taking photos so I joined in. These are the four best I took, considering I am using my 18-55mm lens and not his 100mm macro, I was quite impressed with the results. I have cropped them, but no other editing... My first frog photos!!

Two different Strongylopus grayii (Clicking Stream Frog)

A Cacosternum nanum (Bronze Caco)

There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Nature's Valley Frogs

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:48 pm

didnt they have a flood some time back.?
last time i was there it was unspoiled wilderness with creatures popping out everywhere
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:32 am

There was something a few years ago, but I think it was a fire. I could be wrong though as I haven't been. Hoping to go on one of the next field trips...
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slayer69 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:22 pm

It was a flood.
Slayer69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:46 pm

Yip and it washed away the bridge from N. V. to Port Elizabeth.
Went there quite often, lovely place.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby psychomike » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:10 am

Guys the floods happened last year November... I recall that it was the 22nd November that the rains came, i went down to do the Otter Trail, but the day i landed so did the worst storms in 20 years, The Otter Trail was closed, hikers on the trail were air lifted off...

Natures Vally is where the Otter ends, that remote town was almost closed off due to rock slides for the mountain pass that you have to drive through to get there. I drove to see the damage during the clean up operation, It was quite sever, but still looked so beautiful, i love to go back there very soon when Nature's Vally is back in full bloom... But a place worth visiting if you happened to be in the area, it is truly stunning :)

Cheers
Mike
psychomike
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Nice pics, frogs are awesome!:)
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians