Axolotl Salamander help

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Axolotl Salamander help

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Hay everyone I need some help on obtaining and keeping Axolotl Salamanders.

I have read all the threads on them and some said that you need permits while others said you don't need permits to keep but it is illegal to sell???

Another forum said that they are illegal because if they get into our water system they will breed and become an invasive species, but if they get into our water system won't they die of the chemicals?

I am really interested in obtaining one of these fascinating creatures, could anyone enlighten me on the Axoloti rules and regulations please?

Thanks in advance

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Axolotl Salamander help

Postby Fangfan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:42 pm

There's a very informative article in the latest Ultimate Exotics magazine.
Read it if you can get your hands on a copy.

Peace out...
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fangfan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:51 pm

Just wondered how they would get into the water system, if you have an aquarium? :?:
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:47 pm

That's what I would like to know FangFan.

Quick question which copy FangFan?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:42 am

Well I wonder I know of people who kept Exotic Salamanders in South Africa as far back as the early 1970's. They were commonly imported along with shipments of tropical fish comming in from the USA .Lets be logical here that is more than 40 years now at least but they have never been able to take over any natural eco systems let alone even survive one day out in the African bush.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:23 pm

TonyK what makes this even stranger is that they are almost extinct in the wild. The areas where they occur are being destroyed and the clear waters have turned into muddy canals. Global warming is also heating the waters in the lakes where they occur and as a result they are not breeding as well as what they are supposed to.

Personally I dont think they will survive in SA. Our Barbel will make a meal of them and the small fish like kurpers etc will eat their external gills off. It is better that nobody breaks the law and releases any exotic wild animals to begin with.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I see what you guys mean, and you make a very good point.

BV would it really be a danger to keep just one of these animals in SA without the means of a permit, I mean come on they are endangered and will not survive in our countries water system, and they are exotic I mean come on.

I have read on all their care and living conditions for example temperature must be under 26 c, PH level 7, and food etc etc, and I know of a guy that can organize me one.

Any feedback welcome

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm looking for Axolotls too, thinking I might ask the Imhoff Snake Park if they can point me to anything helpful. But definitely going to watch this thread as well as my own thread.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby XyGorf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't want to send you on a wild goos chase or anything. But I think the "plant en dierkunde" faculty of the North West University in Potchefstroom had a couple of these in a tank a few years back; I'm not sure if they're still there. If I'm not mistaken the prof there told me he brought them back from South America. I'm not sure if it's the same species though. Perhaps you could give them a call. They might be able to help out with some info. You can call Dr. Che Weldon at 018 299 2375. He works in that dept. and he's always willing to help out with advice.
XyGorf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachdanan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 pm

XyGorf wrote:I'm not sure if it's the same species though.

It is indeed :)
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 pm

O thanks guys but my problem is not getting them I can get them quit easily with no problem, my only problem like my post stated the keeping or obtaining issues like permits etc, but by the looks of it you don't need permits to keep them only to sell them I think??? This is very confusing can't anyone else help with my question?

Thanks in advance

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby XyGorf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:57 am

Mr Venom wrote:O thanks guys but my problem is not getting them I can get them quit easily with no problem, my only problem like my post stated the keeping or obtaining issues like permits etc, but by the looks of it you don't need permits to keep them only to sell them I think??? This is very confusing can't anyone else help with my question?

Thanks in advance

Lutvo

That's why I suggested you call Dr. Weldon. He might be able to help you with info regarding permits and the legal issues around keeping these salamanders in SA.
XyGorf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:17 am

O thanks XyGorf, haha I didn't catch it the first time :oops: .

Ill give him a call and see what he says, thanks

Regards

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians