Getting Platannas

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Getting Platannas

Postby Zeiphex » Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi guys, some of you may already know that I own six platties and love them to bits. My dad's girlfriend also loves frogs and after seeing (and playing with) mine, she wants to get some for herself and her young son (I will be making sure that they are taken care of properly), but I am really struggling to find any. I don't know of any ponds that I can go to and get them out of, and I have posted ads on both this forum and Gumtree with no success. I would also love to get a few albino frogs for myself. Does anyone know where I can go and either buy or collect wild frogs in the Cape Town area? And as far as the albinos go, does anyone know of someone who can supply them? Many thanks.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Getting Platannas

Postby shadowfoot » Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 am

In the rivers in Stellenbosch I use to find quite a few in one day. Here where I live now we have a pond with about 20 in it at the moment.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Fri May 04, 2012 2:46 am

Stellenbosch is unfortunately a little far for me - I stay in Rondebosch :<
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Aw come on guys D: No one able to help me here? I already tried posting an ad on the site but it just expired with no replies.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 09, 2012 12:48 pm

The reason is that it is illegal to collect any amphibians without a permit which authorises you do do so. Even if they are invasive you still may not collect them. You will also not get a permit to import albino frogs into the Cape as they are worried about chytrid fungus being spread.

Nobody is going to answer you if they are encouraging you to break the law.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Hmm, I didn't actually think about that, thanks. I wasn't looking for imported albinos though - was wondering if perhaps people would breed them here. I think just about everyone on this forum who owns platannas does so illegally, since I have heard that permits are almost impossible to come by. But anyway, I won't ask anyone to help me with something illegal.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 pm

According to the KZN conservation authorities, it is legal to keep, breed, and even sell most indigenous amphibians. That is assuming that they are caught outside of a game park, and are not on the tops list. That's why I love KZN.

P.S. If wild caught one needs an export permit to take them out of the province.
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 pm

@Joh - that's cool! It's illegal here in CPT...
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians