PE Herp Club Outing

PE Herp Club Outing

Postby boing » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Yesterday (9 Aug) we set off, despite the wind, to see what would be found at the same site they visited last time. I was finally able to go with, as was Piston, our new Herpetologist. They tend to plan these outings when I am working, so I was really glad to eventually make this one.

The venue is just outside PE, past Hunter's Retreat. The alien invasive plants in the area had resulted in it being burnt in the not too distant past. Last time the Club was allowed to break open termite mounds and came away with an impressive list of finds. Everyone wondered if we would have any success without the termite mounds and a cold wind... But here is the day's collection:

A view of the area:

My finds:
Some random spider

Cross-marked Sand Snake (Psammophis crucifer)

Spotted Sand Lizard (Pedioplanis lineoocellata pulchella)

Other species found:

Two scorpions

And a lot of these

A black spider – but the photos are terrible

Baboon spider (saw a few of these)

Rhombic Skaapsteker (Psammophylax rhombeatus) - 2 of them

Cape Girdled Lizards (Cordylus cordylus) - a whole bunch, I think 6 was total

Common Slug Eater (Duberria lutrix)

Percival’s Legless Skink (Acontias percivali tasmani)

Black Thread Snake (Leptotyphlops nigricans)

Some gecko which they released before I could see it to photo!

But this is my favourite photo from the day…
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Re: PE Herp Club Outing

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:27 pm

What was the purpose of the day considering that breaking open termite mounds renders them useless for the reptiles and arachnids to populate again?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Piston » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:59 am

We didin't open any termite nests. All specimens were collected under rocks, and were possible replace to their original place.
Piston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:11 am

Okay now that makes sense. If the area is going to be developed then it makes sense to remove everything you can and try to relocate it. If not, then replacing it is the wise thing to do.

I am sure the animals that were released now have stories they can tell their grandkids about the aliens that abducted them, probed them and then returned then!

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Telescopus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:29 pm

Just to clear the air. On the previous occasion we went to the farm we broke into Termite mounds to find and remove all the reptiles there, as the farmer is going to plough those fields in the near future. Last Saturday we went in the opposite direction, the only retiles that were allowed to be removed were the high venomous ones as they might endanger the workers.
As Chairman of the PEHC we do not endorse any activity that would destroy or endanger reptiles and their environment.
Telescopus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Now that is sorted out as we would have expected of any members of this website. Makes far more sense to do this than allow the destruction just because the farmer needs the land to be utilised.

By the way I was not accusing as I was pretty sure there was a reasonable explanation for the field trip and was not just on a whim.

It i such a pity that Sarca is finished because these finds need to be recorded somewhere. I suppose this will have to serve as a depository for all the new localities. Could we one day update the red data book from this site?

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby juan.bitis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:31 pm

is this herp site in bridge meat?
juan.bitis
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Eastern Cape