Eastern Cape Herpers

Eastern Cape Herpers

Postby Axel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi All,

I am planning another fieldtrip to SA as part of our long-term project investigating genetic variation in widespread southern African snakes (for more info see 'DNA sampling' thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13321). This time we need samples from the Eastern Cape, a region for which we currently have very few DNA samples for any of our target species.

Obviously, a successful herping trip often depends on local knowledge of when and where to look for particular species, so I wondered if there were any herpers based in the Eastern Cape who may be interested in meeting up to search for herps? We will be in the E. Cape in early March, travelling from PE right across to southern KZN. Our target species are listed in full elsewhere on the forum, so I won't repeat it again, but we are basically looking for any of the common and widespread South African species (e.g puff adder, mole snake, BHS, Psammophis, etc.).

So, please get in touch if you'd like to meet up. If anyone could suggest good spots to visit that would also be greatly appreciated. PM me if you do not want to discuss specific localities on the public forum.

Thanks in advance,

Axel
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Eastern Cape Herpers

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 am

Guys please try and help where you can. Axel does not kill the animals so this is what we support whole heartedly.

If anyone has animals which come from this area please get some DNA (even a freshly shedded skin is fine) and make this available.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Yes please help and note that this is separate to any work that Bill Branch is doing. I have been trying to get puffie samples for a while now from EC with no luck.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby herpitologica » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm

I have tons of puffies on our farm near port alfred....thing is it's like fishing,head out there on a garauntee and you sure to find nothing.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Axel, I will see and help you guys when you are here. I have emailed WW in this regard. Speak soon. Craig
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Axel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:24 pm

herpitologica wrote:I have tons of puffies on our farm near port alfred....thing is it's like fishing,head out there on a garauntee and you sure to find nothing.

We could certainly call in on our way through for a day and try to catch one :D . Do you find many roadkills? I could send you ethanol tubes and you can get a DNA sample by just clipping off a bit of skin and putting it in the tube. If you find any shed skins you could also hang on to them, and we could pick them up when we're in the E. Cape.
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Axel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Pythonodipsas wrote:Hi Axel, I will see and help you guys when you are here

Thanks for offering to help us out Craig. I'm looking forward to seeing those baby nigricinctas too ;)

Axel
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:01 pm

herpitologica wrote:I have tons of puffies on our farm near port alfred....thing is it's like fishing,head out there on a garauntee and you sure to find nothing.

Don't worry, we have enough field experience to know that getting skunked is all part of the job, guarantees notwithstanding - we certainly wouldn't hold itt against anyone ;-)
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Ok then no pressure lol.Last time i was out there i found 4 big females in the space of an hour,all just around the house.I live in P.E but we can head out there anytime,just let me know dates.You can crash at the farmhouse just bring with whatever you want to eat and drink...
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Axel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:42 pm

herpitologica wrote:we can head out there anytime,just let me know dates

Cheers! I have pm'd you to arrange dates.

Hopefully the puffies will still be around when we get there!

Axel
Axel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:45 am

Hi Axel

I'm in, have sent you a PM.
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Eastern Cape