Mamba - Nagle Dam

Re: Mamba - Nagle Dam

Postby swazi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Great stuff! He looks nice and fat as well, must be lots of food around.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 pm

swazi wrote:Great stuff! He looks nice and fat as well, must be lots of food around.

Swazi i do not believe that the mamba is anywhere near as fat as it looks :idea: It has inflated its body for 2 main reasons, to float and aggitation of danger nearby :D
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Snakes can only inflate the first third of the body as this is where the lungs are. They have no other way of inflating the rest of the body.

With Bitis species for example the filling of the lungs actually displaces the organs and pushes them further down the body and thus the whole body looks bigger. If the mamba did that then it would be heavier at the back and thus sink further into the water.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cradle of life » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:40 am

Bushviper wrote:Snakes can only inflate the first third of the body as this is where the lungs are. They have no other way of inflating the rest of the body.

With Bitis species for example the filling of the lungs actually displaces the organs and pushes them further down the body and thus the whole body looks bigger. If the mamba did that then it would be heavier at the back and thus sink further into the water.

BV - however you want to look at it makes no difference to what i was getting at :idea: The bottom line is that the snake was not necesarily in a fat condition but could be attributed to the first 3rd of the body inflating and displacing the organs further down the body :roll: So in layman terms the first third is inflated and the rest is displaced :D I am not particularly intersted in what exactly goes on in the body, but to me it looks like the whole body is inflated (which technically it is :idea: , whether it be by air or by organs.)

Enough said.

Cheers
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loteni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Magnificent photos of Mamba, Smeegle...would you give permission to post these pics on a Fly Fishing forum...a well known one.
Loteni
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Kwazulu Natal