Scorpion help.

Scorpion help.

Postby TankFish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

Neighbors child was stung by this scorpion. Any reason for concern?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TankFish
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Scorpion help.

Postby Bernice » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Are you in South Africa? if so what area/province? how big is the scorpion? a little more information will help with ID of the creepy crawly...

I stand under correction... but if I am not mistaken there are no scorpions in South Africa that are considered deadly (bark scorpion may be an exception, but I dont know its distribution)... they are of clinical significance if a child or elderly person is stung, because of allergic reaction or shock, but if the kid is is calm, and coping with the pain of the sting ok, and showing no adverse allergic reaction, all should be fine.
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TankFish » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:19 am

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Scorpion is a Uroplectes carinatus. Apparently quite nasty, especially for small children. Luckily it was just a baby scorpion so it was not so serious. Something to do with the depth of the sting etc. But for future reference and searches, the advise is straight to hospital and treat symptomatically. A drip, cortisone and adrenalin.

Thanks,
TankFish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Why in hell would you want to inject adrenaline? What is cortisone going to help? I am amazed by the medical profession.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Tarka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Yes BV...Thankfully Morne (under your guidance) is making great strides towards improving the situation!
Python regius

1.1.0 Yellow Belly
1.5.0 Normal
1.1.0 Piebald
1.0.0 Crystal
0.1.0 Bumblebee
0.1.0 Pewter
0.1.0 Fire
0.1.0 Mojave
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Het Albino
1.0.0 Enchi