ID of Hatchling in Hout Bay Area

ID of Hatchling in Hout Bay Area

Postby MichaelHB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Everyone.

Just purchased a new property in Hout Bay backing on a beautiful piece of indigenous greenbelt and found this poor little guy in our pool weir. It looks to me like a baby Herald Snake but was a very light olive with tiny white specked scales (random) and lacking any appearance of a red lip (perhaps since it was a juvenile). Can anyone confirm my suspicions? Unfortunately my phone camera didn't get the best angles as they were blurry, these are the only ones that are legible.

Thanks
Michael in Hout Bay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichaelHB
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID of Hatchling in Hout Bay Area

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Yup, that's a harmless herald snake.
The lip colour is variable, some are white, some yellow and others lack any colouring.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MichaelHB » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks very much! I know there are Cape Cobras in the area, lets just hope they don't cop up in my pool one day :)
MichaelHB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BRB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Nice snake hook!
Please join my Facebook page, "Ball Python Obsession" for all the latest news and updates

https://m.facebook.com/Ballpythonobsession?ref=bookmark

1.1 Spiders, 0.4 Pastels, 1.0 Leopard 1.0 Phantom Yellow Belly 0.1 Butter Ghost 1.1 Genetic Stripes, 1.0 Mojave Ghost, 1.0 Spotnose, 1.0 Butter, 1.0 Pinstripe, 0.4 Mojave, 0.1 Albino, 0.3 Het Hypo, 0.1 Het Axanthic, 0.1 Cinnamon, 0.13 Normals, 1.0 Firefly, 0.1 Fire, 0.3 Pastel Spotnose
BRB
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Western Cape