red lipped herald

red lipped herald

Postby rikus001 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 pm

I have a corn snake,can I put him in the same cage with my red lipped herald?
rikus001
SA Reptiles Member

Re: red lipped herald

Postby Fooble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Big no - no.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby DarrenViret » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:17 pm

may I ask why this is a
big no no
?

I have been keeping an anery molely corn with a black lipped herald for quite some time now, no problems at all.
They sleep together and are fond of each others company (preferably hiding together)

Keep in mind each snake has its own tempraments and will react differently.

I would not suggest you put them together but mine work out fine.
I would say you can try but keep a close eye on them for the first hour or 2 and a few days after that.

Each specimen you have should be kept on its own (unless breeding) but it can be done.
DarrenViret
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DarrenViret » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 pm

temperaments*
DarrenViret
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Combining different species is not a good idea at all.

-Some snakes are cannibalistic and will feed on a cage mate.
- Different Species require different conditions to thrive, In your case heralds do better with being kept with a little more humidity and in the wild are found in damp locations.
- Keeping an exotic snake with one removed from the wild which was exposed to natural parasites like mites and potential diseases.
-When feeding snakes in the same enclosure this can result in bad reactions of both snakes going for the same prey item.

Usually keeping any two snakes in the same enclosure is not the first choice either.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 pm

If you cannot afford putting each specimen in its own cage you should not be keeping that snake.

These snakes sleep together only because the best micro-climate is limited and they have no choice but to co-habitate.

Snakes do not like each others company so stop giving them human qualities that they dont possess.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mazz79 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm

I have a brown house snake and a red lipped herald that have lived together for a while now. I partitioned their large cage but the house snake kept getting through the smallest spaces. They have made the best of friends and after confirming that this was okay with my local reptile park have had very little problems.
My Red lipped was wild and the house snake captive bred. Unfortunately the mites that came with the herald was a problem at first. I think if they feed in seperate containers and they are kept apart in their feeding frenzies they should be fine. I would however never try and keep a corn snake and an indigenous snake together at all!
Mazz79
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

You are either very young or inexperienced (no offence). Anyone who has kept snakes for a few years will tell you this is a bad idea, I myself have witnessed non-cannibalistic species such as corn snakes for example try and eat each other on more than one occasion. My brother had to remove a corn snake from the mouth of another with it's head swallowed completely (snake was fine) and they were left together only for a few seconds. Snakes don't make friends, the only association they have with other snakes are either viewing that snake as a potential mate or as prey. Note some species can be kept together with relative safety, but in the end you have to ask yourself if it is worth the risk and why you really want to do it. What is the point of asking for advice if you are not open minded enough to consider following it? The response you are getting might seem rude, but in actual fact we are trying to help because we have all been there or seen it first hand. I apologise if my comments offend you, as this was not my intention, but I will still stand by them simply because they are true.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Mazz79 wrote:They have made the best of friends and after confirming that this was okay with my local reptile park have had very little problems.

Well in that case it must be fine. What do we know?

I hope they dont actually mate with each other because friends just should not do that.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Herald_23 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I've never nor want to try that. Interesting though
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Free State