What a day

What a day

Postby mania » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:46 pm

My family and I decided to go through to Sun City the for the day yesterday via Rustenberg. On the way we stopped at this one pet shop and these two workers caught this tiny Horned adder in their house and brought it into the pet shop where this woman was going to release it on her farm. Then on the road we came across a chameleon which we almost squashed so helped him acroos the road and put him as far as I could into the bush. Then on the way home we saw a guy selling a baby leopard tortoise which he painted with oil to shine and with my dad being part of the North west anti-poaching team we pulled over, my dad got his gun pointed at the guy cause normally they just run, and we confiscated the tortoise but then two Golfs full of people pull up and they climb out and im thinking oh cr@p there is the whole bunch of them with three of us and my dads the only one with the gun. Next thing all these guys start shouting at the oak selling the tortoise and warning him. So I was impressed that some people are finally realising that nature needs to be saved. We released the tortoise a few kms down the road
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Yeah the guys with the tortoises really get my goat because they rely on your kind heartedness to rescue the damn thing from them. Pity you could not have shot the bugger.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MrG » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 pm

You will found a lot of the locals on the road to Sun City trying to sell them :evil:
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Anco » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:23 am

We went to the farm this weekend and on the road I found a tortoise that had been run over but still alive. I was heartbroken and didn't know what to do. I just put it in the bush. It broke my heart
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:45 am

We went to Mabula Game reserve with some American friends this weekend and I got 11 chameleons, 1 spitter, 2 egg-eaters and 1 giant legless skink all dead on a 15km stretch of road. I'm REALLY GATVOL of finding dead things on or near the road.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby mania » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 am

Yeah its not the first time that my Dad has stopped these guys and they all get off with such a small fine, which drives me crazy but the guy on saturday was a new guy we never seen before. Then you get some people that pay for a tortoise and go release it. Wow thats alot of DOR
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 pm

BUSHSNAKE - Last week I was passing through Limpopo and came across, among other things, 4 Chameleons (dilepis), 1 Spitter, 2 Eggeaters and 1 Giant legless skink. You sure we werent on the same road? :)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Return to North West