agamas;spotted bush snakes

agamas;spotted bush snakes

Postby lionell » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 am

there are a lot of agamas around my house. but i have a cat problem.i stay on a farm in bynesspoort near rodeplaat dam. about 2 weeks ago the cat caught a sp are otted bush snake a on a daily basses they catch the agamas. if posible could someone help with removing the cat. they are wild cats thats taking over the farm. there are about 15 cats and they are a nuisance
lionell
SA Reptiles Member

Re: agamas;spotted bush snakes

Postby nvlooi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 am

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby tJokkie_ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Shooting them is a bit cruel i think.

Cant dictate not shooting snakes and then go shoot other animals for no reason :)

Get some of those cat traps and take the cats to the SPCA once caught , i know the SPCA sometimes provides them as well

We had some troubles with cats and caught them out with the traps in about a months time
Some catnip and food should get their attention

Hope this helps

Regards
Chris
Ball Pythons 1:0:0 Aurora 1:0:0 Macklotts Python 1:0:0
Blood Python 1:0:0 ... and some more :/
tJokkie_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Sorry... that was a immature thing to say!

Im just so gatvol for cats killing things and breeding with African wild cats!

I see cats as one of the most invasive animals in the world!!!

The best would be to catch them and get them to the SPCA.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 pm

nvlooi wrote:Sorry... that was a immature thing to say!

Im just so gatvol for cats killing things and breeding with African wild cats!

I see cats as one of the most invasive animals in the world!!!

The best would be to catch them and get them to the SPCA.

H

The SPCA will euphanise them in anycase, a shot is quicker ;) . But seriously sometimes you cant trap them all.

We have had troubles with wild domesticated cats and they are buggers, it took ages to catch them all.

The SPCA was no help at in my experience.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedGhecko » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I actually want to say shoot the darn thing but then again, as tjokkie said, how can we go around lecturing to people not kill snakes but then go and kill wildcats? Little unorthodox I say.

I agree with jka, I don't think SPCA would accept wild cats, though I'm not sure and I stand to be corrected.
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:13 pm

I agree with jka
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I would say shoot and turn them into snake or crocodile food, I believe in using something rather than wasting it.
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I think these are not African wild cats he is talking about. Shoot them!
Killing an indigenous snake and a highly invasive, wildlife killing alien are two very different things.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedGhecko » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

My new opinion:

If its and indigenous, small wildcat like an African Wildcat, leave it alone and let nature be.

But...

If its an exotic or alien specie of cat, like a Burmese cat, then shoot it.
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I provoked the idea of shooting a domesticated animal that we as humans introduced and can not control! SORRY!

We have no right to shoot it(what if you have a cr@p shot and it dies slowly and painfully), catch them get them to the SPCA and they will euthanize them humanely!
Most of us on this forum are environmentalists to some extend at least, thus we must remove these 'invasive' species but must do it in a orderly and respectable manner!

For those that don't know most African wild cats around towns are not pure anymore!

H

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:18 am

I agree

Just catch them and get them to the SPCA to get them euthanized is the best bet, but if you can't catch them or the SPCA doesn't help then try to kill them in the fastest and least painful way possible.

Lutvo
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am

Shooting a cat is acceptable. As long as the shot is to the head and death is immediate then even the SPCA will not have a problem with this. This method is acceptable for pigs or horses so with cats it should be the same.

The most important thing is that the cat must not suffer.

Wild / feral cats stand zero chance of being re-homed so euthanasing them (yourself or the SPCA) is the only answer. Cats will kill many thousand birds and reptiles EVERY YEAR if left unchecked.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pezulu » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:19 pm

I have to agree with BV on this one.
Feral cats are not African Wild Cats, but domesticated cats gone wild.
They hunt and kill anything they can, and much like domestic cats, they don't always eat what they kill.
Feral cats also breed like rabbits, with one female able to produce up to 8 kittens per litter 3 times a year.
The kittens in turn are able to breed in 6 months, so it is a vicious circle.

We had a problem with feral cats entering our complex and causing havoc. It went so far that we banned residents from keeping cats, in the hope that no cats in the complex would deter feral cats from entering wanting to mate, fight or whatever. That did not help.
Putting out cat traps also did not help much. One of two cats were caught, but they seem to be able to learn.
In the end we started using a silenced .22 which was the only effective way to get rid of the problem.

A visit from the SPCA almost turned nasty, but when we asked them to come up with an alternative they were unable to, and finally conceded that what we were doing was the best in the circumstances.
Having 20+ feral cats roaming the complex at night was no fun for anyone. We could not leave our windows open for fear of the cats entering our homes and spraying/musking against curtains, furniture and what not.
They were also a threat to young children, as they would run off when an adult approached, but would stand their ground when children approached.

The culling of the feral cats was done at night, when most residents were asleep. None of the cats culled was wounded, and they were disposed of properly.

Cats turn feral because of humans that don't care for their unwanted pets. As such, WE are to blame.
A kitten in the pet shop window is cute, until it grows and becomes a responsibility that nobody wants. Not everybody likes cats, as much as not everyone liking dogs...
2:1 Motley corn
0:1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake
Pezulu
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Gauteng