Marloth Herps

Marloth Herps

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I hope this is the right forum for all of this. Want to try and keep it all in one post.

We got back from our trip to Marloth next to the Kruger National Park. Unfortunitly we could not go herping with the rangers, but some herps came to us! Some pics are of the usual and I have identified one or two, but not all. I still have two or three pics that I have not downloaded to my computer yet as my cable seems to have gone missing in the packing/unpacking somewhere. The remaining pics are of a few usual gekos and one very interesting crab spider.

Here are the pics I have downloaded so far;

This frog came to visit on the first night.

And this beauty decided to pose for us:

Could not get a good pic of this frog as it was very high up. Could someone identify him please.

The usual, but still think they special.

Have to add the crocs lol!

This hinged tortose came for a visit. My son fell in love with it and wanted it to come home with him. We convinced him that it's home was in the wild. On this he then wanted it protected from the rain and other animals so my hubby and him built a shelter for it.

My son carrying his 'pet' to it's new shelter they built:

It going into it's new home:

A mantis we found on the tree right outside the door. Could someone identify please.

The usual toktokkie:

Will post the others when I can. Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed.

For other animal pics you can add me on face book (please just send a message with the friend request with your login name. I am careful of who I accept friend requests from. Thanks)
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Marloth Herps

Postby Sico » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 pm

The Frogs are the Foam Nest Frog, Chiromantis xerampolina in all the frog pics you put up. awesome guys!
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks Sico. I got a identification of a type of tree frog on the first two pics. Still not sure though. The second frog (not the first two pics of frogs) is a different type of frog. Is that the foam frog you are refering to? Thanks. (PS - Thanks for not putting in the latin name. I hate latin and prefer the english names LOL!)
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Question- Is the plated lizard in pic 2 a Black-lined Plated Lizard, Gerrhosaurus nigrolineatus?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:48 pm

All the frog pics are the same species. Foam nest frogs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:53 pm

nvlooi is also be right about the plated lizard.

I know the tortose is part of the hinged tortose family, but which one?

...And the mantis?
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Legless, as BV said, they are all the same. their colouration is very different, but foam nest frogs change colours depending on where they are sitting, and the heat and temerature. During the say they are often a chalky white colour, similar but lighter to the ones in the bottom pics, and at night and when sitting on dark wood they tend to go darker and get stripes on them like the one in the top pic.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:10 pm

This I did not know. Thanks to you both. The body shape and posture looked different though. Got told the first may be a tree frog of sorts, but I could not find it in one of my books, so now I know why lol! Thanks.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Yes that is supposedly G.nigrolineatus, but they are working on it at the moment - Seems like nigrolineatus is a West African thing and "nigrolineatus" from SA are flavigularis.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks Mongoose. The latin is always changing. I started getting to know it then stoped, then started... By the time I get to know (and pronounce) one name they will have gone and changed it lol!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Find some more pics on my camera, but could not find the crab spider yet :(

This one is of the same mantis stalking a moth:

Could someone ID this guy?

LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Leglessdragon, that is a butterfly ;) Don't think BS will be to impressed with you.. But don't worry, he won't be impressed with me neither as I don't know what type it is..
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:36 pm

My son kept calling it a moth and I guess it stuck on me lol! Thanks for the correction. Just mad at myself for not being able to find those crab spider pics :( It was a beauty. Pitch black with yellow rings around the legs and yellow markings on the body. Then again - If I am calling a butterfly a moth then maybe I should find those pics before I say it was diffinitly a crab spider lol!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mpumalanga