DOCUMENTED BITE STATISTICS

DOCUMENTED BITE STATISTICS

Postby Daniellouw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 am

I am trying to get statistics on snake bites in South Africa, reason being is that when I do talks or people ask about a snake I came to remove, I would say something like:" 80% of people getting bitten either handled the snake or tried to kill it" or "most bites occur on the hands and arms" or "most serious bites are caused by puff adders". This is most probably true, it would be nice though to have some proof as I get this info from personal experience and interaction with other snake handlers. If there is anybody who can point me in some kind of a direction, I would apreciate it.
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Re: DOCUMENTED BITE STATISTICS

Postby Sfourie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi Daniellouw,

The best authority on snake bites I know is Mike Perry. Try emailing him at mike@africanreptiles-venom.co.za.

I am not sure when you can expect a reply as he does snake courses all over Africa but you can be sure that the information your getting is spot.

As for my own knowledge: Most snakebites in SA are legitimate bites……people stepping on snakes as 80% of bites are inflicted on the bottom leg. Estimated induced bites are around 1 or 2% only.

Please post his reply.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Daniel, I can’t see where you from it might sound like an advertisement for Mike but it is not just info that I have. Mike is giving a free speech at Glen Erasmia on the 01March on snake bites and on the 02March at the WRHA (West Rand Herp Association)

The contact person for the talk at Glen Erasmia is Jacque van Rensburg 079 161 5392, I have tried to contact him for more info for myself, only voicemail and he have not return any calls with info. You or to get some info you require.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanx for the info guys, i'll make the call
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Daniel, it will be grate to have this info. Please do share when we meet again. Groete
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Daniellouw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanx Boogy, I think I should also ask Chris, see you Saturday!
Daniellouw
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Mpumalanga