AMAZING WEEKEND

AMAZING WEEKEND

Postby taiwanbeauty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi guys.
I really had a great Christmas weekend which was spent at Sondela nature reserve.
The animals are super tame, especially the Njala’s.
I didn’t see an extraordinary amount of reptiles but did spot a few.
On Sunday I decided to do the Quad trail and came across a huge male Rinkhals that was busy crossing the dirt pass, as soon as it saw the quads it played dead and just laid there for aprox 5 minutes before “gaining consciousness” and moving off into a tree hollow.
Yesterday night I decided to go night patrolling for snakes on the road as the day was exceptionally hot. After about 3 hours I was loosing hope and chose to drive a different route I’ve never driven. I carried on with the road for about 10 min and saw a small puff adder on the road just basking on the warmth. It wasn’t too big at about 75cm in total length.
I removed it from the road and placed it in front of a hole at the base of a tree, it disappeared down the hole.
The third and final encounter was about 2 minutes later when I saw another snake; it turned out to be a juvenile South African Rock Python. I was excited about this one as I’ve never encountered one before. I picked it up. The snake was really docile and didn’t hiss or bite once. I let my family touch the snake before returning it to the bush.
All in all it was a really good weekend and I enjoyed it immensely.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Re: AMAZING WEEKEND

Postby RedGhecko » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Nice, do you perhaps have any pictures of the snakes and reptiles you found?
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby taiwanbeauty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Unfortunately my phone's battery was flat and I forgot the camera in the chalet, I am really negative about not taking pictures of them.
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedGhecko » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:17 pm

But we learn from mistakes, so hopefully you wont forget to take pics next time!

You mentioned that the Rock Python was a juvenile, but approximately how big was he? Just interested to know.
Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather
RedGhecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby taiwanbeauty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:11 pm

The rock python was about 1.5m in length, and like I said, he was realy tame.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Limpopo