Arboreal frog's viv construction journal

Re: Arboreal frog's viv construction journal

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:45 pm

My girlfriend got it a while back, but I think generally at chemists its available.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am

To anyone who gives a rip=)

I tested the water-proofability (yes thats a real word) last night and left it over night. It seems to be holding - think of becoming a beaver now - so tomorrow the fun and creativity starts!

So you can look forward to some new photos on monday=)
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Can't wait buck, already looks awesome...
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kalvaer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 pm

Also cant wait to see how it turns out. I so love the look of the "natural" enclosures
kalvaer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Today I picked up the last parts to be added to the viv. I'm just soaking the substrate overnight and should be finished up tomorrow basically. The worst part is the waiting process, I'm a little impatient so always wanna do things in a ush, but wanna do this right the first time!

Costs so far excluding the cage:
Log R20
Silicone sealer R38
Water pump R137
Shaganum peat R22
Ground cocnut husk mat R25

The rest of the things I used were lying around the house, so far it has being a relatively cheap process but will wait and see what extra costs arise.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm

One more expense so far, I ran short of Shaganum peat so had to go get 2 small bags of that tarantula peat for R28 a bag.

on the right side I added a layer of perlite which will keep in the moisture and humidity and also reduces the need to constantly be watering, i placed a piece of mesh over the top of the perlite just to try keep a separation and not to mix.

setting up the water pump fountain.

I drilled right through the log and the log crumbled, so I used silicone sealant to put it back together and make a little exit hole for the pump. my only problem here is that the water flows a tad to fast so instead of trickling like I want it to do it splashes on the water level below. I was thinking of adding a dimmer switch or something along those lines so that less power will come through to control the speed of the pump. I know that sounds dof but I am not good with electricity so any advice here will be very much appreciated.

Heres the final product after I filled the dry side and planted a plant (unknown), I added some rocks and stones to the water section to give it a natural look. Some advice from my side, boil your stones and rocks to remove all unnecessary germs and pesticides. Soak your log and wood inwater for a couple days to remove any colouring cause once its inside there its difficult to remove the water once its inside your set-up. And on the topic of water, if you setting this up for frogs its better to use filtered/purified water as the chlorine content in Gauteng water is very high and could be harmful to your pump and more importantly your amphibian.

Here is the plant after I cleaned it off and transfered it to its new home, what type of plant is it and is it not poisoness??? I am adding a coriander plant to fight off the mould and I added some ground cover, I am getting some bamboo sticks to put in as an extra climbing/vantage point...any advice for another small type plant that would look good?

Land and water separation.

I have been collecting and growing moss in vermiculite for the past few weeks, i planted the moss in the groves of the logs and it gives it a far more natural effect, but now I hope the humidty and moisture stays high so that it grows. Also found a piece of lynching (spl?) and tied it with some gut on the top of the log and hope it will anchor itself in time to the log.

Another section of moss added to the land section, hopefully it will spread.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Sorry its chamomile not coriander that fight off the mould....
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Looks awesome Buck!
I got an old 4 foot fishtank lying in the back yard at home I think I'd like to do a similar thing to...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:27 pm

I found a great website which has step by step giudes to put these together, check for a site called blackjungle.com they are suppliers and builders of natural vivs in the US and their info is really awesome. If I can get hold of some fire bellied toads I would love to set up an awesome 2 foot viv, but senegal running frogs/bubbling kassinas also will do well in a fish tank as they are not really arboreal frogs.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kalvaer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm

That looks pretty good.

Could I ask, were do you get the mesh from? I also saw on saturday that builders warehouse have a 7dm2 bag of organic peat for R30.00 a bag. Is this save to use?
kalvaer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

The mesh that Buck is using is what looks like a product called perfex and can be sourced from Andrew Mentis on 011 255-3200.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

The mesh Buck's used to hold down the pearlite is a woven mesh and can be sourced from Industrial Mesh on 011 814-7858.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:13 pm

I just got the mesh from builders warehouse as an off-cut a while back. Just get a very fine mesh with smaller holes. With regard to the peat, its sounds like a real bargain and kicking myself for not taking that approach (R80 later for small bags).

Thanks for the comments, still have one or two extras I want to add and a little wiring work to do.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby top dog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 am

Hey buck that is looking top class.
top dog

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 am

Okay so the cage is complete for now and I have left the water pump running for a few days, but realised that I didn't get all the colouring out of the wood so the water is a bit tainted.

But I wanted some advice from you guys:

I want to add a light to create a day night cycle and also to benefit the plants, but the cage is 30cm wide so a 1ft tube will not fit or fit too snug. What type of globe can I use that will supply spectrum lighting that will not create too much heat but supply some sort of benefit for the plants (even through they are indoor plants and don't require sunlight).

Any info and advise will be much appreaciated.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Natural vivariums