Exo-Terra add-on's

Exo-Terra add-on's

Postby balls'n all » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 am

I'v got an exo-terra tank that I'm "fixing up" on a trial basis for an ATB/ GTP. So I thought I would track my progress here and would appreciate any helpful suggestions/ criticism :)

My goal at the end is to have natural looking perches with a large water system at the bottom of the tank. The main issue is the humidity as exo-terra tanks are designed to ventilate air even if they are completely submerged under water!

I want to over come this as well as make an awesome display that I can adapt to the bigger exo-terra cages.

Step 1: Clean and disinfect the tank.

I used my bathtub and hot water to start and gave it a good hose down and scrub with a kombuis sponge. I used that silver conductive tape to hold a heat pad in place before and am battling to remove the sticky residue form the outside?

I am also not of fan of chemicals so hot/ boiling water is enough IMO :)

Step 2: Attach braces for perches.

I used these plastic circles from penny pinchers and cut them in half to make a sort of cradle where the perches (wooden/plastic) could sit and be sturdy. I stuck them on with marine silicone and here some pics:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Apologies, will adjust picture size when I update next.
Cheers for now!
B
http://www.iherp.com/brandon.btreptiles

"True Happiness is a room full of well fed Chondro's"
balls'n all
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Exo-Terra add-on's

Postby glencoco » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 am

looking good, hope it'll turn out the way you want it!
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 am

Those plastic things that hold the pipes in place can you show me what they looked like before you cut them up?

What about putting 1 0r 2 more pipes at an angle say from the back of the bank onto the side?
Are you planning to cover the back of the enclosure which some plastic plants or what not?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Carpetpythons » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm

You can make the plastic tubes look like real branches by using a butane torch. You gently warm them till they become soft and then you twist them. Once you have bent and twisted them into shape you can use the torch to burn them on the outside. They go brown like wood and it allows the snake to have a better grip. You might have to do a few test runs but its remarkable how good it looks.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby balls'n all » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:45 pm

@ fooble - they're basically what you would put on the end of a pipe to seal it. most hardware stores have them otherwise I was originally going to do what carpetpythons suggested with the butane torch and mould the edges to fit into the braces you get inside your cupboards at home.

I'm going to use the exo terra foam background and put another piece of PVC pipe across both perches above.

The torching idea is one of my next steps but you are quite right, it does take some practice.
more pics coming!

balls'n all

Postby balls'n all » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Step three: Test time!

The silicone has dried and set and after a wash I put my pipes in with foliage, water bowl and background.

Now I'm going to test the humidity and the temperature over the next few days. Looking to see how it stays with just a water bowl and no substrate and a bit of spraying.

Heating wise only using a heat pad underneath with polystyrene underneath as well to keep heat loss to a minimum. Also placed a dish cloth on top to see if it helps keep the humidity up.
ImageImageImageImage

balls'n all

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:55 pm

The almost vertical one is not serving much of a purpose unless you melt it a bit to give it some grip. Other than that it looks quite functional.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby balls'n all » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 am

@ BV- I was going for the GTP look with the horizontal bars but thinking of putting an ATB in and so added the vertical pipe. Will be attempting a scorched method to give it that natural look and hopefully some good grip.

So far humidity is 90+ so very happy with that. a bit concerned that the air might not be flowing as freely as I'd like so still adjusting but now I'm on temperatures. I was thinking of insulating with polystyrene with a heat pad underneath and one/two on either side of the tank??

balls'n all

Postby balls'n all » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey guys,

Just finished steps 4- 28 and now I've got the insulation of polystyrene. I cut two pieces and wedged them in above the vents and cut another piece that fits snuggly underneath and doesn't stick out. The two vent covers can be perforated to help with air circulation but only if needed.

I've got a heat pad under neath the tank above the polystyrene, one on the left/ cool side controlled by a thermostat and more on the right side.

So far the temps have been 26 - 32 degrees from hot to cool side and humidity stays at a healthy 80%+ with a very gradual drop now and then.

ImageImage
The nice thing about the polystyrene is I can adjust it but cutting off or cutting wholes into it. The heat pads are only for winter months and as we move into spring they wont all be needed. The PVC pipe at the top has been scortched and waiting to do the bottom one and also the vertical one from the other photo's.

Will update soon. Let me know what you guys think :)
Cheers
B

balls'n all

Postby Fooble » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Looks good man well done.

Just a question what about the ventilation it surely is at a minimum now?

With all those temperature devices you look a scientist ha ha

:)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby balls'n all » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:04 pm

Surprisingly even when the top is pretty much air tight air is still circulating very well :) Exo-terra's are weird creatures.

balls'n all

Return to Natural vivariums