Fecal eating bugs

Fecal eating bugs

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 am

I have an idea and I want to run it by you guys.
I know this is somewhere on this form but can't seem to find it.

Say you create a natural vivarium for a venomous snake, lets say a whitelip, and you want to create a little ecosystem...
For substrate use potting soil mix with something like vermaculite or peat to keep it moist which will increase humidity.
Then you add all your plants, branches (live or plastic). Some bark chips, rocks (real or fake). Now to the real question. Is there some kind of bug that you can use to eat the snake's fecal matter?
Last night I saw a show, it was a bat cage and underneath on the bat poop was thousands of roaches and they eat the guano(spelling?).
Can you use roaches in a snake enclousure? Or earthworms? Will the roaches harm the snake in any way? To keep them from breeding I thought about only adding either male or female roaches and just to replace them as they die of so I dont have an investation of roaches?
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Fecal eating bugs

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:02 am

I can see no reason why earthworms should be a problem. There might be issues with transfering bacteria or other unwanted organisms with the worms however.
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Carla

you can google "live ecosystem for snake cages" and will get a good couple of sites.

The UK keepers seems to be doing very well with earthworms, but you will need natural plants as they feed of the dead/rotten pieces of roots/leaves, etc. I do not know if they will feed on snake poop.(that's what it is ;) )

the potting soil also have natural bacteria that will dissolve the poop/urate as I am currently using it, and it doesn’t stink at all. I still do spot clean as well as I like a clean cage, and is still researching a 100% life system myself.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 am

Hmm okay thanks but what about the roaches?
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 pm

I wouldn't use roaches,they will disturb the snake.
I have a big exo terra tank with about 10cm of garden soil and live plants and the earthworms really take care of everything.They stay hidden and I love having them around,try them out.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 pm

The only safe way of achieving this is on microbial level. Earthworms,plants etc all add to the magic, but you need the beneficial bacteria to thrive.
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks I will try it, first have to build an enclosure that is water proof!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natural vivariums