Best Display Snake

Best Display Snake

Postby Francois » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:01 pm

I want to get myself a snake for a natural vivarium. I was thinking of a green tree python, kenyan sand boa or maybe even a type of rat snake, but I'm not that experienced and the budget is a little tight for the GTP.

I already have a crested gecko that I'm keeping on bioactive substrate and I'm very happy with it. I will probably use it for this setup too.

So, what would you say is the best display snake?
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best Display Snake

Postby Reynard » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Not a sand boa. They always under the sand.
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Funny enough, My girlfriends sand boa's are out quite a lot actually, and their viv's look pretty nice when done properly.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Arboreal species seem to make the best display animals. If you want to go that route, I'd recommend a Panther Chameleon.

If you wanna do something different, have a look at Patrick Huddleson's vivarium that he kept and raised Leopard Geckos in. In that kind of set up, I think normals would be the best and cheapest option.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Try asking around for a Bush snake, they are aboreal, eat geckos, and need lighting for heat, day light.
Another good aboreal species will be carpet pythons and red tail boa's, they get a bit big, but are beautiful and great display snakes.

For lizards, I would get a beardied dragon or a water dragon, amazing lizards in my opinion.

Good luck. :-)
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:21 pm

If you want a nice arboreal display snake, I would personally go for Rhino rat snakes or Amazon tree boas. Both are easy to keep and not as expensive as GTP's.

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I have thought about a rhino rat snake, but I didn't think they were available in SA. That would make an awesome display! Are there any breeders you know of?

Unfortunately leopard geckos, beardies and water dragons are illegal in the Western Cape.
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I should have Rhino rats available in about three months, my first female dropped yesterday and I have some more to come if all goes well.

There should be one or two more guys breeding them but I'm not to sure to be honest.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

If you decide to go arboreal, I would recommend a boiga sp. They're active, alert, and often quite colorful.
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I've been researching a bit now and they look really awesome. I saw a thread that said they are selling for R8000 a pair which is still a little steep for me,but for these cool snakes I think I can pay the price :D What do you think you will sell yours for?

If you decide to go arboreal, I would recommend a boiga sp. They're active, alert, and often quite colorful.

I'm not sure if their available here, but they also look very cool. What species do you own?
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Francois, I honestly have no idea what I'll charge (can't count my babies before they hatch). But it won't be anything close to 8k a pair !

Unfortunately Boigas aren't freely available in SA at the moment. I keep three species (all imported) and apart from them I've only seen one or two loose ones available the last couple of years. They do make amazing captives tho...
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Francois » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm glad to hear that they'll be cheaper. I guess I will have to wait for you're babies because I'm really considering this species.
(the boiga was just for interests sake. I'm not ready for venomous yet, even rear-fanged!)
Francois
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Roann » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi, I think the best display snakes are ball pythons, they are not to expensive, and there are a lot of
different colors and patterns available, the they can be classified as an beginner snake as thy are quite easy
to maintain, there is also a big demand fore these spices of pythons so finding breeders will be easy

Regards
Roann
Roann
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 am

Normal Ball Pythons might look good in a natural set up, but the morphs certainly wouldn't look "natural"
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Roann » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 am

That is true, but luckily there are so many morphs to choose from, it's mostly the albino ball's
that don't look as nice in a natural setup.
Roann
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natural vivariums