Vivarium construction journal

Postby Long John Silver » Thu May 24, 2007 2:45 pm

If you put an ultra sonic sound humidifier on a timer in the vivarium, would that do the trick or would you still have to spray by hand sometimes??
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon » Thu May 24, 2007 2:52 pm

If you can find a high pressure pump, that would work. I looked but couldn't find anything. What will work is a big spray bottle that you pump up and add an irrigation timer. I think you could get 4-5 days before pumping/refilling again. Not sure how you would fit the timer to it but I'm quit sure it would work. I think those timers are about R450 and the spray bottle about R150 depending on size.
gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Thu May 24, 2007 3:01 pm

At the same irrigation store I went to, the guy showed me an interesting solenoid switch. Its wireless and work with AA batteries (about 9 month battery life). Its a digital timer and solenoid switch in one. They go for about R300. If you connect that to the high pressure pump............ I think I just found the solution to my problem!!!!!!!!
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Always make sure that the cage has a drain so that if the water does not switch off then the animals do not drown.

The spray does not have to be a high pressure spray. If the water is like a soft rain that is far better for the animals.

You can also use an inverted 2 litre bottle with a tube and a microsprayer attached. This way you have to fill it every day or two but the cage cannot be swamped.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon » Thu May 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Good point
gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:49 pm

A quick update, its grown in a bit now, added some broms, ficus, java moss and some mushrooms popped up. Can only add the little buggers once I have the base made (its been on my kombuis counter for a while). Might throw in the neon tetras this week. Will try get a full tank shot, for some reason it goes all blurry the further back I go. Damn I need an SLR!

gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:43 pm

wow thats really looking great.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:51 am

That looks very nice. Well done!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Spikelet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 am

that is truely awesome - once again you are gonna do this for a job one day hey ;)
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 am

Be aware that the tetras will probably not be a problem but the food which you feed them could introduce salmonella into the setup. Make sure your fish food is of the highest quality and if it looks dodgy rather buy new food.

Nice cage. I would make sure the mushrooms are not toxic before I put in any animals.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks BV, never knew that. What is a good brand? Heres the pond area. Unfortunately I didn't do enough to block the peat from getting through the false bottom. Hopefully it will clear up with a few water changes.

gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Peat is not always a bad thing in the water. Many fish appreciate peat being added to the water. Some fish like acidic water and other prefer softer water. Some parts of the amazon river have water that looks like black tea due to the rotting of leaves and things that fall in the water. I am pretty sure the tetras will not mind.

Go buy the more expensive fish foods and speak to guys who know their products and not someone who is trying to sell you what they stock.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby EDDY » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am

The best fishfood you get is the brand name Tetra or Nutrifin. Most petshops stock it. Tetra can also be found at Pick n Pays
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:23 pm

As for the peat, just remember, depending where you stay, that peat will soften the water and as in the Cape, the water is already natuarally soft. Do not get confussed between soft water and low PH, although there is a link it must be watched. The increase of waste will further lower the PH and before you know it your PH will be down at 4 or 5, if the KH (hardness) is low, that is okay depending on the type of fish.
Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby firefly » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:38 pm

Looking good!! Gaboon do u use any special lighting for the plants? my tank have gone back to zero. for some reason all my ferns and moss have died. im thinking it is a lighting problem. or possibly the soil that is too wet. the only plant that seems to do well in there is the arum lilly's (its an all SA setup with only indigenous plants. help!
firefly
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Natural vivariums