a rinkhals

a rinkhals

Postby confused » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 am

Heres a few pics of a not so good looking rinkhals found in Hogsback eastern cape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Fight with idiots they will drag you down to their level and beat you!
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Re: a rinkhals

Postby confused » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 am

Some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Jisso man, it sommer looks 20 yrs old. Are you gonna help the snake ?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 pm

What do you mean "are you gonna help it" ? If it has managed to survive to adulthood thus far I am sure it can look after itself. I reckon it has been a harsh winter for the snake, but the toads are back out in numbers so I am very sure this rinkhals will not have a problem putting on some weight.

Nice pics bud.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby confused » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Its back out and about should be picking up weight nicely. Wish we had them with a bit more markings up here. they all seem to be a dull black
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 am

Jamster wrote:What do you mean "are you gonna help it" ? If it has managed to survive to adulthood thus far I am sure it can look after itself. I reckon it has been a harsh winter for the snake, but the toads are back out in numbers so I am very sure this rinkhals will not have a problem putting on some weight.

Nice pics bud.

Well seeing as he already caught it why not give it a good feed , or two. If it doesn't eat you will know there is a bigger problem.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:48 am

Firstly it is illegal to do that. This is a wild snake and should remain that way. If it dies from starvation or disease it provides a meal for something else. You put the animal at far more risk by keeping it and feeding it.

On another note the colouration is very interesting I have only ever seen banded ones from the Eastern Cape.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby levi_20 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:50 pm

If a wild snake doesn't eat after being caught, photographed, and put in a box it probably shows its normal more than anything else :P
levi_20
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 pm

levi_20 wrote:If a wild snake doesn't eat after being caught, photographed, and put in a box it probably shows its normal more than anything else :P

Agree 100%
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Well that Rinkhals doesn't look normal, your catch and release permit gives you a timeframe to work in. Why not try.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm

michael wrote:Firstly it is illegal to do that. This is a wild snake and should remain that way. If it dies from starvation or disease it provides a meal for something else. You put the animal at far more risk by keeping it and feeding it.

That is too broad a statement. Which part is illegal ?
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:24 pm

"which part is illegal?"

Erm... the whole part? If you dont have a capture and release permit. Your entire "plan" is illegal as every part of it requires you to have the animal in your possession. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that snake. Can't see if it is a male or female from the pics, but I reckon if it is female then she has recently given birth, hence the thinness.

Capture and release permits are there so that those with experience and knowledge are able to help the general public with snake related issues. Not just so that they can catch every snake they see and turn it into a pet.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:38 pm

Jamster wrote:"which part is illegal?"

Erm... the whole part? If you dont have a capture and release permit. Your entire "plan" is illegal as every part of it requires you to have the animal in your possession. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that snake. Can't see if it is a male or female from the pics, but I reckon if it is female then she has recently given birth, hence the thinness.

Capture and release permits are there so that those with experience and knowledge are able to help the general public with snake related issues. Not just so that they can catch every snake they see and turn it into a pet.

Sorry man I thought Confused caught the snake on a Catch&Release.

Anyway who here doesn't feed catch and release snakes that can't be released immediately ?
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby confused » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Well it was caught pics taken and released all at the same spot i dont take anything i catch exept pics.
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:38 pm

That bite on the shoe made me cringe just a little.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Rinkhals (Hemachatus haemachatus)