Nashpuff

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Re: Nashpuff

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Why is it called a Nashpuff? Did it start as Naspuff or Nasipuff until it was decided to place an H?

Hybrids are not my thing by any means but the colour on this snake is quite nice. Hope you enjoy your animal CF.

Another interesting point, nasicornis are known to be difficult at times and yet you cannot kill an arietans if you tried.
I wonder how this snake will be.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby K_N_U_T » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 am

Oh..so many questions. I´ll try to answer all of them.

@Alan

I got one living Hybrid, slugs (I don´t open them because there were no snakes inside) and I forget to tell 2 stillborns. These look like the living one. So no much variation in the babies.
There would/will be maybe a variation if the parents would be 1.0 nasicornis and 0.1 arietans.

@gaboon69
As I told...no problem. I know that not everyone likes those Hybrid.
For me it is interesting and ok so Hybrid between theses species are possible and they could occure in the wild.

I can agree to you (of course) that there exists very very beautiful arietans and nasicornis. Just the arietans can look so different.

But as I told I don´t have a problem with hybrid there...and I find the Hybrid between arietans x gabonica or the gabinos are pretty nice, too.

@Rob
I reflect about a nice name and then I thougt Nashpuff would be a nice one and sounds well.
It is composed of the german names Nashornviper and Puffotter -> Nashpuff

And of course I enjoy it. It´s very intersting to see and compare the behaviour.
The defence behaviour is like a puff adder. She pump and hiss and put her head and neck in the typical L-Form/shape.

The first days I try to find out the perfect conditions. So the hybrid like higher temperature and bask the keeping conditions are 26-32 C and a humidity of 40%. I mist every 2-3 days so she can drink from the walls, stones etc.
K_N_U_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 am

I take it you will be using the same specimens to try and get this right again. These snakes will never see the shores of africa again so if you like what you have produced go ahead and make some more.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby K_N_U_T » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 am

At the moment I don´t think that I´ll try it again in the near future.
In the next year I´ll try to breed "pure" Bitis nasicornis and maybe Bitis gabonica.

If I´ll get some day a really pretty female arietans I´ll maybe try to breed the female with a male nasicornis.
It could be interesting if the little hybrids would look different.
K_N_U_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 am

K_N_U_T wrote:Oh..so many questions. I´ll try to answer all of them.

@Alan

I got one living Hybrid, slugs (I don´t open them because there were no snakes inside) and I forget to tell 2 stillborns. These look like the living one. So no much variation in the babies.
There would/will be maybe a variation if the parents would be 1.0 nasicornis and 0.1 arietans.

Hi KNUT,
Thanks for that :) Can I ask a few more q's if you don't mind?

When did you actually observe mating ? I'm trying to find out what the gestation period was. Also , did you observe any unusual behaviour in the female while she was gravid, strange basking positions ect? What sort of tempreture did she favour on the lead up to birth?

Thanks alot appreciate it.
All the best,
Al
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby K_N_U_T » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Yes no Problem ;-)

In March 2008 I put the male nasicornis to her. She was there more active than else. But the male was not interested. Some Days later I put him back in his terrarium.
So both snakes (arietans and nasicornis) has been VERY active since some weeks (they creep for hours and hours through their cage), I decided to put them together. On the 20th April I put the arietans to her and on the 22th I saw them mating.

After some months the behaviour of the female was VERY unusual. She get out of her hiding place. That alone is VERY strange because she get out of there only 2 or 3 times in a year. Now she lay ON and not under her wood tube (Korkröhre). In the last months she bask under the spot and her favourit temperature was 30-32 °C. I´ve to secure the spot with a case/box because she got to close to it.

Between mating and the birth has bin 8 1/2 months.
K_N_U_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi KNUT :)

That's great information, thank you very much. Really helpful for when I put my bitis together.

All the best,
Alan
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby K_N_U_T » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 am

Just a short info...my male nasiornis get´s active and creeps through is cage later in this year.

I think he startet in the middle/end of 2008 and get "nervous".
K_N_U_T
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:13 am

Hi all, personally, I like to see hybrids, but not to practice, to seek alternatives and my question is ....

knut you can think of a hybrid worthingtoni x cornuta? i have adult 1.1 worhingtoni , and 1.0 cb 2006 - 0.1 cb 2008 cornuta.
for this year in female worthingtoni x male cornuta??? XDXDXDXD
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:15 am

or someone may think is a crime?
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 am

Xerophak they look so similar I dont think that it would be a snake that amazes anyone. Secondly the pure blood specimens are worth quite a bit on their own so rather just breed and establish these in captivity so that they dont have to keep catching them from the wild.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby steve » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 am

CRIME
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 pm

ok, I was only thinking of my crazy head. i need to hear this. thinking and follow through now, i never practice hybrids.

thanks is truth
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Xerophak I think that just breeding pure worhingtoni and cornuta is already a great accomplishment, both species are so beautiful as they are, and again not many people breed them out.
Worthingtoni are rare, if you can breed yours that would impress even more.
Besides that they cover different home ranges, I don’t think they would hybridize anyway, I just cant picture it.
I will agree the prospect t is always an interesting one.
regards
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kingspider » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am

hey all was intriguged about this so reasearched it....um with result of nameing it seams hybrid names are suposed to arise from the sire(father)and then the mother is that true in all instances?or just mammels?
kingspider strikes again
kingspider
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies