What are the 2010 Plans

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

What are the 2010 Plans

Postby rolandslf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 am

I wonder if anyone has any Hybrid plans for when the season starts in earnest.

I thought I would let those who are interested know what two of my projects are.

1) Beast Corns - Black Rat (F) x Amel Corn (M).

2) Texicles - Creamsicle Corn (F) x Leucistic Texas Rat (M).
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What are the 2010 Plans

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 am

You do know it will take another generation before you will see results from amel or leucistic genes?

This week I was asked to sex some Taiwanese rat snakes and these were hybrids with possibly a black rat snake. I was wondering what a cross with an Albino black rat snake will look like?

To add to the above what infuriated me was the fact that these hybrids were being sold as "pure normals" although the price was a giveaway. The owner had to know they were hybrids.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:28 am

BV, I get extremely angry when people intentionally mislabel snakes.
I am trying to get some Hybrid projects going, and things like what happened to you throw the gradual acceptance to the fact that Hybrids are becoming a factor in the industry backwards. This infuriates me.

On the positive side, I have a huge Albino Black Rat male with no partner. Maybe we should talk sometime.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:31 am

Oops, I forgot to add.
I am planning with a view to the f2, I suppose however that good things in the future will reward my patience.

I will keep the best of this season back for future projects.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Roland, what's the point of hybridizing the Creamsicle and Leucy Texas Rat if the resulting f2 will just be pure white?

Without scale counts you won't even be able to tell the difference between a normal leucistic Texas Rat and this leucistic hybrid.

Of course there is the chance of a pink-eyed leucy, but even that is not exceptional.

I'm not saying you should abandon the project, I just think you could have chosen better combos.

Again, no offense meant, but I really dislike it when guys hybridize different species of the Pantherophis genus as they are all so similar. The resulting offspring are usually uglier (personal opinion) to the pure animals.

I'd rather cross these to Milks or Kings to get somthing unusual.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 am

Your comments are very valid Westley.
However it is all moot as I did not even go with one Hybrid project this season. I feel exactly as you are saying, that I do not have the stock to work with to achieve anything special looking.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies